Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smokies are going off!

Posted by brentaustin 
Smokies are going off!
August 01, 2018 09:47PM
I have about 3" of rain in my gauge since about 11 this morning. It is still raining. Around 6 p.m. I looked at the Greenbrier gage and it was at about 4.8' and going up a half a foot an hour. The Little is about 3 and a half feet and going up. More rain is supposed to fall here. Stuff will likely be high tomorrow and then drifting into the good range for Friday, Saturday and probably some lower level runs on the Little still happening on Sunday.
I was going to the Cheoah on Saturday, but this is better. My place is open to boaters if there is interest in some Park boating. That is what I will be doing the next three or four days it looks like. Not sure what it will be tomorrow, but first will go look at Greenbrier and/or Big Creek if they are not too big...Tremont is a good option as well...
Brent
Re: Smokies are going off!
August 03, 2018 08:50AM
I got an inch of rain in my gauge last night and Scotty just reported a Greenbrier level of 3.6, running brown. So, it is back up and rocking. The Little is still around 2.6 which is a fine level, but it will probably head up too. I imagine Big Creek has a run in it on the Lower today and will probably be around for an upper hike for those interested in that tomorrow, depending on how high it got this morning. I still think I am going to hang around the Park this weekend instead of going to the Cheoah. If I were to drive, I would probably rather go to the Watauga (which is at about 400 cfs at the moment), but I will probably stay local to the Park so I can take care of other non-boating matters. Going to be a fabulous weekend. Door is open to paddlers, as always...
Brent
August 03, 2018 09:03AM
I spoke too soon on the Watauga, because since the last post, it has now rocketed to 1900 cfs. Shit tons of stuff running big in NC...but I am staying here in the Smokies...
Brent
August 03, 2018 10:09AM
As I thought, the Little is at 3.62 and going straight up. Heard it was big and brown up on the West Prong also. I imagine Big Creek is big, but haven't talked to anyone with a visual. Stuff is for sure big this morning. We will see where we are around 4:20. I will probably be working at my lap top most of the day until then...
Brent
August 05, 2018 07:10PM
Brent,
We (Josh Hettich, Jason Hettich, Jeff Schetler, Joe Wheatley and me) got two laps in on the Upper Tellico on Saturday at just over 2' which is a great boof-filled level. We followed it up with a late lap on the Ocoee. Not a bad Saturday, many people marveled at the fact that there was no need for a dry suit on the Tellico. We also saw Damon , Bruce, Steve Powers and his wife too. Plenty of parking, no crowds.
See you at the Dick Bradfield/BWA party next weekend.
Chief
August 06, 2018 04:21PM
Nice Chief. We had on Saturday a run on the Greenbrier at about 1.9 and then a nice 2.9 level on the Little. (The river was running higher than the gage reading...) We had Todd Harbour, Karen, Majick Mike, Clint Shiavone, Lou and some other local friends. They went to go meet Clay at the Cascades after that. Then, on Sunday, I met up with Flunker and some of his buds from Knoxville to do a lap on the Little, still around 2.6 from my perspective. Karen did the Little again with Lou. Wes showed up late and did two solo laps on the Little.

Great weekend. Missed hanging with you guys out there but glad ya'll were out there getting some action.

Brent
August 07, 2018 07:38PM
I will see you this weekend at Ocoee Outdoors
Chief
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.