Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tree down on Elkhorn

Posted by drewavan 
Tree down on Elkhorn
May 05, 2018 05:15PM
All be aware that a tree is down on Elkhorn creating a river wide strainer and higher water especially. There is a way to go under it far river right at levels around 500.

Andrew Van Horn
Captain of the Pirate Ducky Fleet
Attachments:
open | download - IMG952202.jpg (215.2 KB)
open | download - IMG952203.jpg (150 KB)
Re: Tree down on Elkhorn
May 05, 2018 08:56PM
Wish we had known you were there, Andrew. Was just logging in to make this same post. Jim and I rolled to go under it, but it was very scrappy. Higher levels, this is gonna be a huge obstacle. Anyone have a CHAINSAW???
May 07, 2018 03:55PM
Where on the river is it located?

Joe W.
May 10, 2018 06:12PM
The tree is out, no more need to worry.

Andrew Van Horn
Captain of the Pirate Ducky Fleet
May 11, 2018 09:32AM
My question is, where did it go? With no high water it's unlikely to have traveled all the way out the bottom of the run. I'd like to know where it is.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
May 11, 2018 02:42PM
I spotted the downed tree right above rootball on river left. It looked to be more parallel with the current than in the pics posted. Still very Wu Tang if you catch what I'm saying.

Mike D
May 14, 2018 07:00AM
Was out on the Elkhorn yesterday (13-May) at ~ 600 indicated (as an aside, it seems to me that the gauge numbers feel a little high, 600 felt more like 400). There is a good sized tree trunk (Maybe 18' long) caught in the root ball alongside Coulston's Lane.

The tree trunk is caught with the large end on the bank at river right, the body of the trunk is perpendicular to the upstream facing side of the root ball reaching toward the left bank. I'd estimate it extends ~8' to river left past the edge of the root ball. At low water it's solidly in the line, you basically have to drive left into the semi-eddy along side the island to get around it. Not a big deal but it could trip the unwary. Another foot of water and, unless it floats up, I don't think it would be an issue.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.