Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Week of Rivers 2018

Posted by brentaustin 
Week of Rivers 2018
April 26, 2018 08:08PM
The Annual Week of Rivers begins Saturday and we are meeting at Nippur, in the morning, to begin paddling. Right now, there is so much to paddle in the Park, we may just do something like the Little, party a bit Saturday night and then head north. Maybe. Watauga should drop in at some point, and we may see ourselves headed towards the Fork, maybe check out a Guest level, and then work towards Bernie Farley's around the Meadow, New and Gauley perhaps. Love to get up to Audra State Park for a night on the river at the put in and then a beautiful Middle Fork Tygart run. Plan to be around the Cheat area by Thursday. My camping plan is a function of who will allow me to have Canyon on the property. I think Cheat River Campground is not cool with dogs. Not sure about Teeters policy on dogs. Anyway, then I am looking for the UY, the LBS, and maybe a day on the Cheat itself. Head home a week from this Sunday and recover from a night of vendor food and beer at the Cheat Fest on the way back.

Hope to see some of you all out and about.

Brent
Re: Week of Rivers 2018
April 26, 2018 08:18PM
I would Love to meet up with you but I am helping Betsy with art shows this weekend, Caney Fork should be good still on Saturday
Chief
April 26, 2018 08:58PM
Yes, Chief, I saw that. Caney Fork would definitely be something to consider on Saturday. Daddy's Creek is running too. But, so is stuff towards WV. We will see what the gang says Saturday morning and boat accordingly. And then subsequently get lost somewhere around some wild river...
Brent
April 26, 2018 09:46PM
Can’t wait to meet you all up in WV for one of my all time favorite festivals. Cheatfest never disappoints, it’s been a few years since I’ve been able to enjoy all the goods that area has to offer. I’d be stoked to get a Lower Big Sandy, or a Top Yough and Upper Yough run in with everybody. I’d even be stoked to get on the Cheat Canyon too, such a great playboat run...may even take my shredder or raft down.

Clay
April 26, 2018 10:18PM
Right on Clay! We will see you up there and do all that for sure!

In the meantime, it is still raining on my head here at Nippur right now. Just absolutely great conditions. Tyler Mac and Clint Sciavone were here last night after doing a nice phat 2.9 level run on Ramsey's Cascades down through the Greenbrier run. Clint will be back here tomorrow and is doing the WOR with us. TMac is off to Florida for work. Greenbrier was 2.1 this morning and holding all day. It is probably inching back just as the Little is, and it is already back to 3.3 almost. Wet and verdant. That describes here...

Wes is showing up with an RV he threatened. We will see. Dot always has a birthday party around now, because one year it was at the Noli during the kick off to our WOR when we had some nice Watauga days to start off with. She will be 29 so give her a birthday shout. Todd H. is suppose to meet up with us, but said he had something he had to do in KY on Saturday, so hope we can connect in transit with him. Our friend, Toni Lynn Sullivan is coming from Colorado and should be here Friday evening. So, there will be a party coalescing Friday night. If we boat local, we may throw the heck down on Saturday night and get up and roll to a river out of the Park. Maybe.

Brent
April 27, 2018 09:13AM
I may see you guys up on the Cheat. My current plan is to drive up there Saturday morning of Cheatfest, run the Cheat, then hang out and run stuff Sunday and Monday, heading back Monday evening. I might even be convinced to do a Monday Gauley run if the water's right, shorter drive home from Summersville than from Albright.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
April 27, 2018 02:52PM
UY runs on Mon so was planning to do that - unless something else better is running. Plan to do LY on Sun with Karen - loop laps vs full thing. UG isn't a bad idea since it's on the way home or LG in the Phat Cat but never too early to start preparing for UY race smiling smiley

Wes
April 27, 2018 03:10PM
All sound like good, valid options. I'd like to spend an afternoon at Tygart Valley Falls just perfecting my boof stroke, but you can't do everything.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
April 27, 2018 03:22PM
Yeah, I will probably head home on Sunday after the Cheat Fest, but I could be induced into a quick UG run on Sunday. It has been running at fall levels lately. I am kinda thinking about rafting the Cheat on Saturday of Cheat Fest, but I can't decide if I want to bring the raft and all that gear too. That is a lot more shit to haul around just for one day of rafting...

As far as this weekend, I still think the Little will be perfect tomorrow, probably close to 3' and then head up to the Watauga on Sunday morning and maybe stay for a Monday lap too. Then work north. Or something.

Brent
April 29, 2018 02:58PM
So many options this weekend to paddle, with great weather, but we have hung around the Park. The Little was a nice fluffy 3' yesterday and is still good today. We are probably heading to the Watauga tomorrow to begin our trek north. Hope some of you were able to break away from Central Kentucky this weekend to enjoy one of the best spring weekends of paddling all year here in the Southeast.
Brent
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.