Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Saturday stouts.

Posted by MikesAllWet 
Saturday stouts.
April 13, 2018 03:30AM
Current temp: 66.6. Looking at a rowdy time on Saturday. Being that I sold my dirty soul to the devil for this sport, it's only natural that I should dance with the devil every now and again. With USGS telling me that the Obed/Plateau/East Nashville region is expecting an unusual downpour, I'm looking to run some droopy trouser, quad bock, imperial stout, chocolate milk type water! Get in touch with me or get somebody in touch with me. 502-fiftyfive4-848nein!

If you can't boof it, squirt it! If you can't squirt it, are you even wet?

Mike D
Attachments:
open | download - Screenshot_20180413-025211_Chrome.jpg (1.12 MB)
Re: Saturday stouts.
April 13, 2018 08:43AM
Like the timestamp almost as much as the post!
<3
MFW
April 13, 2018 10:47AM
Where are we going MFW?

If you can't boof it, squirt it! If you can't squirt it, are you even wet?

Mike D
April 13, 2018 11:31AM
Mike,
Looks like if you go far enough west, you may get some Saturday afternoon plateau stuff. Looks like late Saturday and early Sunday for the Park.
Things are primed here. Anyway, I am going to the Cheoah in the morning with Chief, Todd, Wes and Mark Singleton and then wait to see what water comes down closer to the Park on Sunday. You guys are welcome to join and stay if you decide to head this way.
Brent
April 14, 2018 10:07PM
Well, it wasn't the plateau, but we sure had fun on a juicy Cheoah today. Seven us today: me, Todd Harbour, Chief, Wes, Mark Singleton, Majick Mike and Ed Bowen (Ocoee Ed). We cruised it. Great crew. The extra water was great, the weather warm, and the beer was cold at the takeout. Majick Mike and Chief just left Nippur a bit ago and are headed home. I have Todd/Leslie and Ed Bowen here, and we lost Wes/Karen somewhere in Bryson City. We plan to meet up and boat somewhere tomorrow. If we get for sure rain coming, to get things in the Park up tomorrow, we will do that, but right now we are leaning towards the Plateau. See what is up in the morning. Great day today!

Brent
April 16, 2018 04:10PM
Glad you all got to paddle some good stuff! Miss the Cheoah.

We headed East to West Virginia and found sunny skies, favorable weather for camping, and beefy levels on the New River Gorge. In the spirit of accuracy and round numbers, we had a solid 4.20 feet on the gauge...which was a super fun level with water reminiscent of the Gauley or parts of the Grand Canyon. Jeff K, Jeff Schetler, and Codie Dunn came over on Saturday and good times (and sandwiches) were had. Sunday morning, Jeff K and I had the river all to ourselves thanks to some shuttle magic. There is some EXCELLENT surfing to be had at those levels and I hope to be able to catch it again.

Hope to see y'all soon.

MFW
April 16, 2018 07:21PM
I met up with Adam Leftwich, Jason Heittich, Steve Price, and Jeremy Waters in Wartburg on Sunday just before noon. We were originally thinking Little Clear and/or Island Creek. Unfortunately both were too high for our comfort zone.

There was a silver lining to the super high water day (Think the Emory at Oakdale probably at least hit 40000cfs) in that we did two new creeks that share the same take out on the Emory just downstream of Oakdale that come in on the river right. Both were beautiful like all streams in the area and both were action packed.

Creek one- White Oak Creek, yes another white oak creek. About the same size as Yellow Creek that flows into Daddy's Creek but significantly steeper, perhaps 2 or 3 times more. Kirk Edelmon gave us some simple Beta that proved to be right on the money on how to run all the drops. Hey diddle diddle right down the middle, you guys will have fun. Avoid trees with river right lines at the start (easier said than done as our group almost had a couple swimmers right away} a few minutes into the run horizon lines appeared usually with no eddies or reasonable places for scouting but the advice held true as we skipped and slid down some fun steep slides that did not let up until we could see the final run out on The Emory. We floated downstream a few minutes to just upstream of the Mouth of Clifty Creek and took out. We were all hyped on enmorphins and adreneline after that run, I dare say if Ihad scouted the drops I might not have run them, but I am glad I / we did. A touch more water may have cushioned the slides.

Creek two -Clifty Creek, not the one that flows into The Caney Fork, is a recently designated Tennessee scenic stream. The vegetation along the river was lush before giving way to vertical bluffs that may have reached 2-300 feet. We ran it at over 3 feet on the gauge with 1.2' being a minimal and 1.8' considered ideal. We debated if it was a good idea to run at this level but got some Beta on where the difficult rapids were and advised to run both river right. The run was long continous boogie water wave train at this level, relatively read and run, fun mostly a class III+ IV- rapids.This run could be quite technical and still fun at lower levels.

These runs are recent discoveries and parking is limited and landowners are probably not used to seeing the hordes of people that were there on Sunday. Boaters from KY, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville were in attendance, go with a local and carpool, be respectful if you do these runs on the next big rain event.

Happy Boating,

Chief
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.