Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rain and wet conditions coming to the Smokies

Posted by brentaustin 
Rain and wet conditions coming to the Smokies
February 06, 2018 01:10PM
This past weekend I got to paddle with Chief, Todd Harbour, Amelia Taylor, Eleanor Arnsback and other friends on the Big South Fork on Saturday (yes, Steve Price was there) and the Little on Sunday after some needed rain. A lot more is coming tomorrow. I plan to paddle tomorrow for sure if anyone in addition to Flunker gets the day off. First choice for me will be Greenbriar, then Big Creek and then the Little...
Brent
Re: Rain and wet conditions coming to the Smokies
February 07, 2018 09:54AM
I believe that Amelia's paddle was recovered at the bottom of the BSF Canyon on Sunday. I left it with Steve Price.

Robert W.
February 07, 2018 07:57PM
Thanks Robert. We will make arrangements to grab it.
Brent
February 09, 2018 08:16AM
Going to be a rain party at Nippur this weekend! Yeah man, the Little is still over 2.8 and Greenbrier and Big Creek have been running the last two days and are primed. Area flooding is being called for by the weather with temps in the 60s: [www.accuweather.com]
and also check out the Precip Forecast here: [www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov]

Clay is on his way I think. So will others. (Who knows about Hugo, but I doubt it. I am not sure he kayaks anymore. Kayaks don't hold as much beer as his raft does, apparently.) Going to go big this weekend in the Smokies in my neighborhood. Hope to see some of you out there. I might be looking for some smaller drainages on Sunday, like lower Greenbrier or even Cosby Creek, cause I think it will be burly that day. Regardless, there will be boating opportunities everywhere in my neck of the woods in about 24 hours or so...

Brent
February 09, 2018 03:49PM
Brent, Keep me posted
Chief
February 12, 2018 07:42PM
It was an all or nothing kind of weekend. Plenty of precipitation on Saturday afternoon and night my gauge had over 2 inches.
Mike Wilson and I paddled a few Little laps at a meager 2.65 or so while the plateau appeared to be flushing out.We had hoped to catch Wildcat Creek a Tellico tributary but it wasn't there on Saturday. When we awoke Sunday morning we saw that it was at a lower runnable level according to the AW water level page, about fifteen minutes later it was above recommended level and rising. What to do, I called a friend who said he was going to do the Lower Santeelah near the Cheoah. The drive over through The Great Smokey Mountains was spectacular as always via Foothills Parkway with waterfalls galore. We drove past The Cheoah bigger than I have ever seen it with a nasty terminal hole on River Right at Bear Creek Falls and some gnarly one just below. Driving toward Santeelah Creek the nice Class III-IV creek was as high as I had ever seen it enough that I knew it was a no go for me, I suggested Lower Snowbird even though I had never done it which was the next drainage over. We debated what to do and finally chose a section that was forest service roadside Class III -IV pushy water with avoidable logs. It was action packed with hardly any rocks visible above the surface and one hole that surfed and swam several boaters. They were fortunate that they recovered gear quickly and did not swim long or far.
This is a creek that has some outstanding slides upstream on it that I have not run coming from near the top of the Cherohala Skyway but takes a long walk up or in to run. I would do the roadside run again if I were in the area preferably at lower water which would probably be quite technical.
My final thought to all boaters is to know that high water often changes that class II or III run into a IV or V. Use good judgement, be safe, and have fun.
Chief
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.