Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upper Yough This Weekend 23-26th

Posted by powhoundus 
Upper Yough This Weekend 23-26th
June 21, 2017 04:23PM
Fred Wilson is going, I'm taking Brit. Hoping for good levels or options ... there are great options often if UY is too high .. TY, LBS, Cheat, Middle Fork / Tygart.... Fred is probably comfy taking on a first timer or two if you are reasonably competent but I would clear it with him. I'm comfy with first timers up to 2.3 at Sang Run. Scheduled releases Fri, Sat, Mon. I have to work Mon night so unfortunately have to leave Sun sad smiley Not sure if Fred will be boating Mon.)

Ditto what Chief said about difficulty. As it is with any other Class III or harder run - do your homework (minimum read AW page / Keel Hauler's rating page) to determine if you are up for it. I will repeat what I said on FB - the UY usual Summer release is 2.1 ish at Sang Run. The river is very wide at Sang Run where the gauge is located compared to most of the meat of the gorge. A little there makes a big difference downstream. UY at typical Summer flow reminds me of low water Watauga / RFG in 300+ range. Not a lot of push, minimal hazards, but no big drops like Watauga. As the flow increases holes get bigger, push increases and you get bitch slapped around more and more. My highest run was somewhere north of 2.5... We put on at 2.3ish but the gauge at Friendsville was 2.8 (after Sang Run comversion) and it felt 2.5+ for most of the lower run. We attributed this to much rain overnight with lots of side flow coming in throughout the run. We were *on* that day with a strong team for Brit's stellar PFD but it was a gameface day for sure. I think 2.5 is Brent's limit as well - to give you some idea of another person's comfort level you may be familiar with. OTOH I'm totally comfortable boating at 2.1ish alone for race training in Summer - did it many times last couple of years. But at 2.5 I want serious backup with me! I've had my ass kicked at 2.5 (2 beat downs / swims in my first run at 2.5) to give you some idea... and I swam after a pin at the bottom of Charlies last year at 2.1 smh....

I'll be heading to UY a few more times this Summer before the race 7/22 but will be more into race training and not trip leading. Chief / Brent's trip would be a better choice for a later trip if first timer. Unfortunately I'm working that wkend.

Wes

Wes
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.