Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Annual Post Clinic Beginner's Trip

Posted by abtrfly4u 
Annual Post Clinic Beginner's Trip
April 27, 2017 04:49PM
For the last several years, like 5 or something, I've been leading a Beginner's Trip on the Pigeon River as a follow up to clinic.
This trip is geared mainly towards beginner boaters and specifically those who have just completed the BWA Spring Beginner's Clinic.

Here's the Details:
When: Friday, June 16th - Sunday June 18th
Where: Pigeon River, Hartford, TN
Food: Community Table Breakfasts , Provide your own lunch for the river, Community Table Dinner Saturday
Paddling: Lower Pigeon on Saturday, Roll Practice or a Low Water Upper Pigeon Run on Sunday.

ADELESSA’S COMMUNITY TABLE
The sole purpose of Adelessa’s Community Table is written in the name ~ UNITY!
You don’t need a silver fork to eat good food, for the best foods are found and
Shared in the Company of friends.
Through food and drink we come together; We Commune and We Unite ~
We Become Community!!

By providing this Community Table, We open conversations.
Conversations open doors. Doors lead down paths.
Paths carry us to Brighter Tomorrows!!

This Trip's Community Table Happenings:
Saturday Morning ~ Breakfast
Saturday Early Evening ~ Wine & Cheese House
Sunday Morning ~ Breakfast

Feel Free to Contribute to/Participate In/Enjoy any or all of these

In years past I've always tried to cater to the Intermediate Paddlers who wanted to run the Upper and it seems to work for the most part but this year I really want to focus on the Beginner's and getting them onto the water for teaching and more learning as soon as the water hits at Hartford so they have optimal time on the water to work the entire length of the river practicing skills. I don't like that they spend so much time off the water waiting for their "Adventure Guides" to get their paddle in 1st. I'd like to change that up this year and ask that anyone who signs up to help, be prepared to do that 1st - Help the Beginners; At the end of the day, there can always be a group if Intermediates/Adventure Guides who make a run to the top for an Upper Run before the flow shuts off. I'd like to for one!

I can't make these trips happen without Skilled Boaters stepping up to lend a hand as Adventure Guides, that's what I like to call the people who help me out, to the Beginner's. I'm posting now so I can hopefully get a good amount of you to hop on board for this trip and help some Beginner's learn the ropes - PAYING IT FORWARD LEADS TO MEGA RIVER KARMA POINTS!!!

CLINIC INSTRUCTORS - Please tell your students about this trip and encourage them to plan on attending. It's a trip that has proven to be beneficial to Newbs and has almost become a tradition. You should sign up too!! Hell, just bring your clinic class to this trip and call it square!

I'd like to have a generic head count by June 12th so I can make the camping arrangements ~

Let's Sko'botin' Y'all!!

Adelessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 05:14PM by abtrfly4u.
Re: Annual Post Clinic Beginner's Trip
May 07, 2017 08:23AM
Woo Hoo!!
May 09, 2017 02:11PM
Love your enthusiasm Jessy ~ Spread it around at clinic and bring some Beginner's along!
You're gonna "Adventure Guide" this year, right?? smiling bouncing smiley

SYOTRS!!

Essa
May 11, 2017 11:49PM
I'll check with Britt, but it looks like were available to guide on this one.

Linda Tribble
859-229-4358
May 15, 2017 10:07AM
I'm hosting my Memorial Day trip at Firefox campground and in scheduling that received this request from the owner.
I wanted to post it on this thread because the group he is referring to is this trip, the Post-Clinic Trip ~

"I just need to ask you to take charge and keep your camper/rafters in the mind frame that this is a family type of campground. I am asking you to keep your guests in line and not to make my other campers call me in the middle of the night complaining about the noise. PLEASE make sure that doesn't happen again. You seem to be the boss of the group and they will do what you tell them to. I'd really appreciate it because we want to make every one's Big Weekend a great and pleasing experience. I know it only take 1 or 2 idiots to mess things up but I have worked to hard and if it happens this year they will be gone the first time it happens. I love your group and am grateful that the come but again 1 or 2 can ruin things when they are being obnoxious . The campground rules are posted on my site. Please let them know that if they act like idiots and making my other guest uncomfortable then they will have to leave cause I won't put up with it at all. I hope you understand cause we had a problem or 2 last year.

It's always my name associated with these trips and even with scheduling a Family weekend where there are going to be more kids than adults, there is concern that the group will be unruly because that's what "My Groups" tend to turn out to be.
I don't want my name continually associated with this lack of respect for campgrounds and their other guests and so, in order to allow the Post-Clinic Beginner's Trip to be what it needs to be and what we have always been, LOUD AND SOMEWHAT UNRULY, we will be camping on PRIVATE PROPERTY located within a short distance from the river. thumbs up

**MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW AS CLINIC WRAPS AND THE DATE APPROACHES**
May 16, 2017 01:55PM
Not for sure if I will be available for Saturday since the commercial season is in full swing then, but I will be there Sunday for anyone wanting to do a possible low water trip on the upper. Also, will hang around the campsite after boating hours. Can't wait for y'all to come play in my backyard!!!!

B.J.- Kayak Bum and Raft guide: The only ambition I ever had in life, and it was well worth the wait!
June 05, 2017 05:14PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!!

Clinic was a great success - now let's keep those Beginner's boating.

Most of the information is posted above. I'm still working out some details as far as the costs ~
It shouldn't be more than $10 per person for the weekend.

If you don't want to camp at Nippur, Brent's private land just up the road from the Put-In, there are several campsite options in Hartford.
If you choose Foxfire, just don't mention my name - they' have a personal vendetta against me and the club.

I'll need Adventure Guides to teach on the River on Saturday so if you're interested please let me know.
I've already got Newbs signing up so let's get some guides signed up as well.

Vikings have a trip to the Nanty that weekend so I doubt we'll get any of their beginner's in on the trip which is a bummer since when I looked at planning this trip, I am positive there was no trip scheduled for them which is why I chose the weekend I did. I had really wanted this to be a Multi-Club trip as it has every year in the past.... Oh well...

Anyway - LET'S RALLY and make this Post-Clinic Beginner's Trip the best one ever!

Please try to let me know if you plan on attending no later than JUNE 12th so I can ensure I have adequate Safety and Support set up.

Let's go boatin' y'all!!!

Essa
Friend of the Newbs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 05:48PM by abtrfly4u.
June 06, 2017 07:16AM
This is a great follow up for clinic students. Sign up and have fun while you learn and improve your boating skills.
Chief
June 06, 2017 10:02PM
Britt and I are both available to guide

Linda Tribble
859-229-4358
June 06, 2017 10:05PM
This is news to my sunburnt little ears.
The 2 of you seem almost pillars of this trip
to me and I can't imagine having one without
Your assistance.
Thank you!
SYOTPig....
June 08, 2017 11:46AM
Direction to where we are staying:
- I-75 South toward Knoxville..... 164 miles
- Use the middle lane to continue on I-275 S..... 0.3 mi
- Take exit 3 to merge onto I-640 E toward Asheville..... 7.0 mi
- Use the left 2 lanes to merge onto I-40 E toward Asheville..... 28.5 mi
Road Splits
- Keep right to stay on I-40 E..... 19.0 mi
- Take exit 440 to merge onto TN-73 W/US-321 S toward Wilton Springs Rd/Gatlinburg
- Merge onto TN-73 W/US-321 S..... 0.2 mi
- Turn right onto US-321 S..... 2.3 mi
- Turn left to stay on US-321 S..... 6.8 mi
- Turn right to stay on US-321 S..... 3.8 mi
- Turn right onto Rocky Flats Rd (Just past Jack's Market which is on the left)..... 1.0 mi
YOU MAY LOSE CELL SIGNAL WHEN YOU HIT THE ROCKY FLATS AREA
- Turn left onto Mathis Branch Rd..... 1.0 mi
- Turn left onto Bobcat Ridge Way.....
Follow the gravel road all the way up the hill until you see a Wooden Fence on the left ~
The entrance is just past the start of the Fence at the bend in road.
There are several kayaks in the ground and I'll have a sign up to mark that
You have made it safely.

Please find me upon arriving to get checked in and for info regarding camping, etc.

SYOTPig
Adelessa
Attachments:
open | download - Wilton Springs Exit.JPG (46 KB)
open | download - Hooper Highway Turn.JPG (57.7 KB)
open | download - Rocky Flats Turn.JPG (80.7 KB)
June 12, 2017 08:49AM
I'll help out since I didn't make the Clinic. I won't be down until Saturday morning, so give me a place and a time to meet.

Larry Cable

"All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the Flintlock of your Musket".
June 12, 2017 09:50AM
Adelessa;

I'm planning on day-tripping Saturday, specifically to help out on the lower.

I assume you are putting on at the bridge, do you have a timeline?

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
June 12, 2017 10:18AM
First off let me say that I appreciate you beautiful people who step up to help guide this trip ~ I truly I can't make them successful without your wisdom and knowledge on the river, and off... Thank you!!

Now, to the important stuff ~
I NEED A BOAT AND GEAR FOR A BEGINNER TO USE!!!
I'm getting her deets now but if anyone has a loaner boat they're willing to offer up, please let me know!

Also: I will have a designated "Family Friendly" camping area at The Property we are staying on. The members of the community we are staying with or completely respectful to us when a boating crew comes in. If you are wondering about staying with the group, please know that I give my word to do my best to present an atmosphere conducive to everyone. There is plenty of space on property for people to Get their Wild with a small bit of discretion, so to speak. If you have any questions, please pm me or contact me directly 859-230-1316

Next ~ The tentative schedule
Saturday:
9:00am Community Table Breakfast
10:00am Begin setting shuttle to the River
11:00am Arrive/Meet-Up at the Public Put-In (Hartford Bridge) Field
11:20am Cars to the Take-out
11:45am GROUP MEETING ~ Safety Chat, Stretches, Last Minute Adventure Guide assignments
12:15pm "ish" Hit the water!! **Pack a Lunch or Snack for the River**

I encourgage those guiding Newbs down the river to work the river at your own pace. We have PLENTY of time and they are coming here to gain knowledge and skills from your years of paddling and paying it forward. Do not feel like you need to keep up with everyone, You don't. Stop somewhere riverside for lunch or snacks since we're putting on right at lunch time!
**PLAN TO BE AT THE TAKE-OUT BY 6pm**

7:30pm Community Dinner at The Property ~ We'll share trip reports for the day over dinner!!
9:00pm Fireside Chats and Fellowship

Sunday: To be determined on Saturday by the group at dinnertime!

I've got 4 solid beginner's signed up already.

Please try to let me know by today, 6/12, if you are planning to attend. It'd be great to see more beginner's signed up. I've usually got 10+. Push this out to your students clinic instructors.... it's a solid trip that is totally beneficial to newbs fresh out of clinic

See Everyone Friday or Saturday

Adelessa
June 13, 2017 07:32PM
I'm sorry for the late notice, but I just solidified plans. I will be day tripping Saturday. If anyone is in need of gear I can likely help out in that department. Super stoked to see some older River Buds and maybe make some new ones.

Tom Minor

''Whoever has the most fun wins''
June 15, 2017 08:45AM
Morning all--I need to get my boat and some gear down to the Pigeon for Susan B. to use. I have a meeting and can't make the trip.

Robert--do you have room on your vehicle for my boat?? I can get it to the roll session tonight or swing it by your house.

love,
bethany (or beverly or whatever)
June 15, 2017 12:16PM
Bethany;

I'm carpooling with Tom M and will defer to him, but I'm afraid the roof will be full.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
June 15, 2017 02:05PM
Eeeeep, O.K., thanks Robert. Anyone else??

love,
June 16, 2017 10:46AM
Looking to get in on this trip! My 10 year old and myself will be arriving in Hartford around 11 am. Set up s quick tent @foxfire then we will meet you fine folks, where? We would like to help set shuttle for the upper crew. (We will be in my tandom inflatable. ) reLly want to meet up with peeps and bomb the upper then float the lower with the group. Now I know you-in's aren't staying at foxfire, that's why I'm z . See little worried our paths might not cross. Call me fivohtoo sixthreenin ohseventooate. What is the meet-up time to run the lower? The water isn't full on there till 2 ish
June 16, 2017 01:31PM
I'm planning on heading to Brent's this evening at some point to hang with the gang. Did we figure out how to get the boat down there for Susan B? I could get it down there.

Keep Rockin In The Free World,

Koebs
Mobile: (502) 370-1289
June 16, 2017 02:19PM
Thanks for the follow up El Presidente!

Adelessa came and picked it up this morning and is currently transporting it as we type.

You all have a super rad weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love,
June 16, 2017 02:32PM
Tim ~ See post above for tentative schedule.
Anyone who is doing the Upper should plan to be at the Put in, Ready to boat when the water turns on... that is, if they are helping on my trip. I believe I only have 1 person, possibly 2 that are interested in the Upper on this trip.
I'll call you in the morning. See ya on the Pig...

Koebs, I've got the boat. See you at Nippur this evening.
June 16, 2017 04:23PM
Yes, I plan on being up@upper (haha) bellies full, Dukkie full of hot air, hydrated, and ready to show my kid and anyone else down right when the water hits. I'm all gitty inside!!
June 16, 2017 05:00PM
Tim,
I'll be up@upper at 10:00AM if that's where I end up to piddle before getting on the river. I'll be filling out what the rest of the group is getting into as well. Don't know if I'll row or kayak. Kinda feeling the photo vibe so leaning toward rowing right now but we will see. Feel free to text or call me.

Kyle Koeberlein
Mobile: (502) 370-1289
June 16, 2017 06:07PM
I'm a last minute day tripper...hoping for a lap on the upper but will need support...would like to get in on the lower run as well. I'll be at public take out/put in at 11.

atefivnin-fivsebnsix-ninedouble0sebn
June 16, 2017 06:34PM
Kyle, Dave, and Gina, I say we all meet at the public put-in,take-out@11:30ish to set shuttle for an upper run. Parking is very limited at the top but we will figure that out tomorrow morning. There's lots of good news here:a this is gonna be awesome, b I know all the conservative lines, c oh yeah, we have cell service in Hartford. It gets spotty when you get to the top so let's talk fo-sho in the morning. I drive a blue civic. Meet you guys at that grassy field right by the bridge. Gonna be busy and hectic tomorrow, especially at the top do we will need to have a plan in place. Dave, I know the river well and can show you down. Am puuuuuumped!
June 16, 2017 06:59PM
Duke energy site says the water doesnt turn on until Noon.
Let's touch base in the morning and reset plans.

If you're camping at Brent's, we have the spots down the hill from the main house and are convening our fire circle at the Fairy Grotto.
Essa
ed
June 18, 2017 08:41PM
Thanks Adelessa for all the leg work to make this trip to the Pigeon happen. Thanks to all the trip leaders and support boaters for making it a fun, and safe learning experience. It was much appreciated!

Ed Singleton
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.