Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Memorial Day Weekend Family Paddling Trip!

Posted by abtrfly4u 
Memorial Day Weekend Family Paddling Trip!
April 27, 2017 04:26PM
Hi de ho Paddleronies!!

One of the best trips, I've had on the river was a Family Memorial Day Weekend trip to the Pigeon and Chattooga Rivers.
We had a raft for those who didn't kayak and it was a Funtastic time had by all!!

I'd really like to get something like this going for this year.
Smiley doesn't kayak but I could get him in a raft so I want to work on securing one of those for our Non-Boaters.
I want to hit stretches of water where everyone can be a part of the trip so I'm looking at the Pigeon and several section of the French Broad ~

Tentative Plan is to head out Friday May 26th for the Pigeon River.
Camping at Foxfire. I love having the river right there for the kids to play in when the water is off. Pigeon should start scheduled releases that weekend so we'll be good to go for Saturday.Most likely stay there Saturday night as well.
Head out Sunday morning for either the French Broad, Maybe the Biltmore Section ~ I've heard it's a beautiful section, or Tuck, or some not commonly known or run river that AW shows as a runnable river that weekend, maybe the Lower Green if it's running.
Anyways, I'm putting this out there to see if there's any interest from those who have Kiddos and want to try to get away for a Family Weekend on the Water.

So, any interest in such a trip??

Adelessa
ed
Re: Memorial Day Weekend Family Paddling Trip!
April 28, 2017 11:03AM
Sounds wonderful Adelessa- I'll check with the Fam-Five and if at all possible, we're in. Let you know soon.

Ed Singleton
May 09, 2017 02:15PM
Despite the lack of flair on the forum for this trip, it's going to be a FUNTASTIC weekend on the Water and Off!
Committed head count of 14 people right now!! That's STELLER!!!
Families, Friends, Fun, The River.... What more could you ask for!!
Class II and III Fun for everyone!

It's not too late to get in on the good times - but time is running out as the campsites at Foxfire are filling up fast!
Come on and get'cha sum!!!!

The Dirty Bird is Calling.........

Essa
May 09, 2017 02:21PM
Team Honey is making plans but I don't really know what and who yet.

Ben Mudd
BWA Treasurer
May 10, 2017 02:46PM
Hi Adelessa
Bob and I plan to be there late on Friday, can't wait !
Tina
May 15, 2017 10:39AM
We've got a pretty great group coming together for this trip.
I really love seeing Families sharing time on and off the water.
Lots of kiddos, both boaters and non-boaters, going to be running around.
At about 20 people total.... That's a SOLID trip!
I want to remind everyone that this isn't a boating only trip as well and that 1 day of the 3 may be a hike to a swimming hole for some good ol' fashioned country kinda fun! We'll have to see what the water is going to do.

On another note:
I've been asked by the campground manager to remind everyone that Foxfire is a family type of campground and 1 of 3 holiday weekends that help fund what they are building . He has asked me to keep all of you in line and ask you to please not make the other campers call him in the middle of the night complaining about the noise. PLEASE make sure that doesn't happen again. He looks at me as "The boss of the group" and feels you all will do what I tell you to. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out hahahaahah
It would be really appreciated because we want to make every one's Big Weekend a great and pleasing experience. Let's all just remember to be respectful and there shouldn't be any issues. (Full email is in my Post-Clinic Trip thread)

Yee-haw!! It's boatin' season!!!

SYOTR
Adelessa
May 22, 2017 11:54AM
26!!!
HOT DAMN!!!

It always makes my heart feel so happy when I get such an amazing response as this to a trip I'm leading. HAPPY DANCE!!!

To keep the tone set on a Family Style event, we've decided that we're going to hold Community Table meals all weekend.
For a Community Table meal, all you need to do is prepare/bring a dish to add to the table that can be shared by everyone.
Back in the day it was called Pot Luck ~ I like CommUNITY Table better.

We'll have 3 breakfasts and 2 dinners like this ~
I'm asking that everyone prepare a Side Dish for the dinners. I'll pick up some grilling meats on Friday in Cosby and ask everyone to chip in on the costs of the meat once I know how much that'll be. We can set up a Camp Kitchen that will available and accessible to everyone to use as they need. This'll keep everyone from having to set up their own kitchens and will keep our "FREE ZONE" more free!

I'm going to fix a pot of my World Famous Fish Soup for Friday so if you're arriving Friday - arrive Hungry!!!

I haven't really boated much since I broke my hand. Haven't been around much really at all since then. It's hard being injured and being around stuffs you can't do. But I'm back and I'm ready to BOAT and am SUPER EXCITED for this coming weekend and to be sharing the Opening Weekend of Summer Releases on the Pigeon surrounded by so many people who add Brilliance and Wander to my life!

Safe travels to you all ~ See You Friday!!

Essa
May 25, 2017 10:58AM
Greetings and Salutations my Magickal Memorial Day Trip Trippers smiling bouncing smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

This is my last post regarding this trip ~ I'll see you all tomorrow, or Saturday in Hartford!
Speaking of Hartford, I've attached a snippet of the weekend's weather forecast.
Needless to day, it's gonna be a WET WEEKEND on and off the water!
That's Boating!!

I'm going to bring a Roof Sized tarp for us to string up across some designated area to provide an adequate dry space for everyone
to hang out together and not spread out under individual tarps at each campsite. I'll need some help getting it strung on Friday.
I'll have a big ol' pot of Brazilian Fish Soup, World Famous ya know, on the stove Friday for dinner for everyone, Wine's and Cheeses requested for accompaniment ~ If you're arriving in the dinner time hours or earlier.
grinning smiley For the Community Table Breakfasts (Sat & Sun am) ~ Prepare to share the things that YOU would want to have. Plan on fixing enough for yourself +1 (i.e. if there are 4 in your group, prepare for 8). Doing it this way ensures that there is enough for everyone to taste and enjoy a little bit of everything & that everyone doesn't bring eggs because they're easy to fix riverside. Be creative and it doesn't have to be fancy. Bagels and Cream Cheese, Fruit, Mimosas, etc....
grinning smiley As for the dinners, plan your side dishes based on: Chicken as the meat on Saturday and Pork as the meat on Sunday.
grinning smiley We'll skip out on the Community Breakfast on Monday in lieu of a Memorial Day "Picnic" of Hamburgers and Hot Dogs around 11:00.
We'll also have a Moment of Silence prior to breaking bread on Monday to Honor and Remember the Veterans who fought for this country and whom have crossed thru the veil.... that is, afterall, what Memorial Day is about.

If anyone has any questions - 859 230 1316 will get you in touch with me ~

Sko'botin' Y'all
Essa
Attachments:
open | download - Weather.JPG (38.2 KB)
May 28, 2017 09:06PM
Thanks for organizing this Adelessa! Had fun on a beefy pigeon (you don't hear that every day). Great company!

Betsy
May 29, 2017 12:30AM
if you go that way again I'd like to try it. Never been. Linda
May 29, 2017 02:22PM
Just camp somewhere else staff at Foxfire were assholes. Besides the personally grudge with Adelessa which I won't get into, they overcharged us and wouldn't correct the error.

Ben Mudd
BWA Treasurer
May 29, 2017 02:52PM
First, I really enjoyed you all being here and had a great day on the river, both rafting and kayaking. Second, ya'll come camp at my place. I have 18 acres and resources to enjoy and we are 20 minutes from the river. I heard about the Foxfire management issue, and I will say, if you are BWA, come camp with me. Free. Just contribute to your community. Like coffee, or some toilet paper, or a good vibe or joke. That will do. Love my KY boating family - old and new. I love all whitewater, class II to easy V. I would love to boat with some of you new folks. Come camp and lets boat the Pigeon - upper or lower. And if we get some rain, then there is always some sweet ass options.
Brent
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.