Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Earth Day Weekend (4/22&23)

Posted by johnk 
Earth Day Weekend (4/22&23)
April 20, 2017 08:55PM
Not heard anyone's boating plans for the weekend, so here are mine. First choice is natural flow on: 1) Cumberland Plateau, Caney Fork, Island Creek would be prime time, 2) Great Smokee Mountains, Little, Tremont, Big Creek, 3) Other natural flow Tellico or North Chick. Second choice two days at Cheoah. Third Choice a day at Cheoah and natural flow on day two. Supposed to rain the next few days but lately accumulation has been light. I personally won't decide until Friday evening or even Saturday morning.
Anyway hope to see you all on the river.
Chief
Re: Earth Day Weekend (4/22&23)
April 20, 2017 09:17PM
Chief,
I am in. Be in touch tomorrow night to see what is shaking. Right now, it appears that the Cheoah is our best shot.
Brent
April 20, 2017 09:21PM
You are probably right about the Cheoah Brent.
Chief
April 22, 2017 06:37AM
Chief,
I am currently supposed to meet Eric HF at 10 in Waynesville so we can meet you at noon. Wes is also coming. However, I see 1.1 inches in my rain gauge over the past 24 hours and there is a large storm headed this way. Little is at 2.2 now and has been rising all night. I am kinda leaning towards staying around for local water rather than drive 2.5 hours each way today. Let's see what shakes in the next hour or two and I will make up my mind by 8:30 this morning. Either way, we will boat something.
Brent
April 22, 2017 08:41AM
We are pulling the plug on going to the Cheoah today. Rain should be pounding the plateau about now and there is a flood watch for the Smokies at 2 p.m. today. Might be doing 4:20 laps at the Little today if we are not in the Plateau...which is where we are currently leaning. Will know more by 10 a.m.
Skobotin!
Brent
April 22, 2017 07:17PM
Anyone up to anything tomorrow? Hopefully Central Kentucky creeks? Otherwise, traveling where?

BAM
April 22, 2017 10:27PM
Well, it was Island Creek today at a good level of about 1.25 and rising. Rained off and on and definitely raining on my head in Cosby right now. It will be epic in the Park tomorrow. Hoping for a high water Greenbriar or Lower Big Creek in the morning and then a Tremont lap later in the day. The Little should be in until early in the week.
Brent
April 23, 2017 08:08AM
Well, it is still raining and my gauge has 1.8 inches in the past 24 hours on top of the 1.1 inches yesterday morning. Greenbrier is probably a blow out right now. But, the Little is 3.4 and dropping slowly and anything over 3.2 means Tremont is in. That is my first choice today before I speak to my bros out there coming to paddle down here in the Smokies.

I have not heard about Big Creek levels yet.
Brent
April 23, 2017 09:06AM
Now it looks like we might head to the Greenbriar in about an hour and a half, or around 10:30. Lou saw 2.3 at 7:45 this morning, so that is a good level and it is likely headed up. Then, we may go check out some Lower Big Creek laps which should be in play. Chief is on his way to Nippur and so is Suzie Q, to join me, Eric HF and Wes, currently. Day tripping Flunker and Majick Mike may show up again. They are both, separately, driving monsters!
Brent
April 23, 2017 09:58AM
Do you know if anyone will be on the Elkmont to Sinks section? We've got a crew who want to boat but aren't ready for the IVs

BAM
April 23, 2017 10:56AM
Hey BAM, yeah, the Elkmont to Sinks will be in, but there is wood and the two class III rapids after the bridge are pretty stout for intermediates, just so you know. We are leaving for Greenbriar and/or Big Creek in the next 15 minutes. There is a good section for intermediates below the Greenbrier just so you are aware that as well. There is one class III there at normal levels that can be scouted or portaged. Have fun, make good decisions and give us a trip report.
Brent
April 23, 2017 12:05PM
BAM,
I would recommend elbow to the Y first and then Elkmont to sinks as a progression of difficulty. Both are road scoutable (recommended) and can be done in one day together. As Brent mentioned, the section below the bridge on elkmont to sinks is solid 3+ (maybe 4-) with a lot of wood at the bridge. For elkmont to sinks, I would put in up road from the campground (keep to left at campground) and take out on river right above the bridge (road cut/cliff with bridge 2 miles or so before metcalf bottoms). Both sections should have good flow today and may be going up if rain continues. For elbow to the Y, find the elbow, put in below elbow at 5-7 car pull out and take out on river left a couple rapids after the Y parking area at 3-4 car pullout.
Feel free to text with any questions: 3onefour-nynefyve6-toosix4o
Have fun and be safe.
John

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 12:11PM by Flunked.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.