Elkhorn Tues 3/28

Posted by dperkins 
Elkhorn Tues 3/28
March 28, 2017 09:22AM
Anyone getting out around midday?

Jr.
Re: Elkhorn Tues 3/28
March 28, 2017 10:15AM
I think there is a group getting on at 1pm. Check the viking facebook page. THere is also a group doing about 230 and 440 today.

Andrew Van Horn
Captain of the Pirate Ducky Fleet
March 28, 2017 10:32AM
Don,
Meet at saufleys at 12:30pm.

Joe W.
March 28, 2017 10:36AM
K

Jr.
March 28, 2017 10:56AM
I'd be up for a 4 or 4:30 run, possibly. Anyone heading out later?

-MeganL
March 28, 2017 11:45AM
Robert and I are going directly to the put-in after work. Should be there around 5:00 PM. We will set shuttle in a few minutes on our lunch break so we can just put directly on. If anyone wants to join us (Megan), we'd be happy to paddle with you.

Rides back to the put-in are on a space-available basis (i.e. we will have a car already at Sauffley's, Robert may have already committed to some rides back up top, but we can always loop back around and fetch a second round if absolutely necessary, or you can set your own shuttle before 5:00).

See y'all after work.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
March 28, 2017 02:00PM
I'll be there. Flying solo, so I won't be able to set shuttle. I'll meet you at 5 at the put in and then beg and plead for a ride back to the top after. If anyone else needs to work out a shuttle before hand, let me know.

859-seven four three - 8355

-MeganL
March 28, 2017 03:37PM
Assuming Robert hasn't already promised all the seats to someone else, you're in. If not, I'll whip back and get you, or something... we'll make it work.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
March 28, 2017 08:56PM
Great day on the korn with friends.

Joe W.
March 29, 2017 08:47AM
The small amount of rain arrived from Lexington at about 5:00, and held the level firmly at 1,200 for the rest of the day. Does anyone contest that this is not the perfect level for almost all of the Elkhorn's features? If so, what spots are in at different levels? I've been running the Elkhorn for a millennial's lifetime, but I can always learn something new.
March 29, 2017 08:49AM
Sorry I missed you Joe. It was good seeing you at Sauffley's briefly while Robert and I were setting shuttle. Sorry we didn't get more of a chance to catch up. Would have been nice to paddle with you guys, but y'all were way ahead of us.

On the good side, Robert, Megan and I hit the water just after 5:00 and had a great evening on the 'khorn. Caught up with the remnants of the day crew at the Dam and surfed hard for an hour or so before continuing down. Good times had by all.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
March 29, 2017 08:51AM
In answer to Robert, Surf City is definitely much better at higher water. Generally, the higher it gets, the better it is.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
March 29, 2017 09:03AM
The main Dam wave was particularly good yesterday. All kinds of features are different at different levels. The little pocket wave in front of Indian Head Rock comes in at a slightly higher level. The new almost creek wide wave between there and Barking Dog comes in somewhere in the 2000s. Like Hanley said, Surf City can be much better at higher levels. Above S-Turn too. And we all mourn the loss of the great Lunch Stop wave (which has come and gone twice is the short time I've been kayaking), and the Rebel Hole wave(s) that were there a couple of years ago (the top one may still be there).

Jr.
March 29, 2017 10:31AM
1200 is a great level with tons of fun surf but in addition to those Don and Hanley have pointed out, several other surf spots come into play or get better at levels above 1200. Some that come to mind are the waves above Church hole and many of the upper waves in the Dam Rapid, which few people ever seem to play for some reason. The tail waves below the Dam hole and at S-Turn get way more dynamic and numerous. The terrific section between the old Stoner Beach and the ledges lunch stop is way better at higher levels with several super surf spots appearing. Left side of Upper(old) Lunch Stop is getting some new play holes and old Lunch Stop itself, while still not regaining it's old glory waves, still has a nice play wave at the top right and a really dynamic new wave with eddy service on river left. Also Log Cabin rapid has some terrific surf at higher water levels with a sweet hydraulic that forms at the bottom of the river left channel that isn't there at 1200. At levels of 2000+ there is also a beautiful. glassy wave that forms up on the bottom left of Log Cabin. Colston's Lane rapid has a sweet, one and done, wave on top right and sometimes at certain high levels, CL at the bottom gets these really weird "ocean-like" pulsing waves that are a blast to catch and try to stay on. Surf City is pretty great at most levels but, IMHOI is really killer around 2500cfs where daisy chain-surfing down the rapid hitting one surf wave after another both above and then below the main river-wide hole make SC the best surf spot on the creek. The Rebel Wave rapid also gets it's old slanted surf wave back at higher levels with even a useable eddy-service on river left. The surf in Barking Dog gets much better at higher levels and there's a fun new, wave with eddy service on bottom left (that Larimore is calling Barry's Wave :-) in the unnamed, rapid just below Barking Dog/Clifside.

barryg
March 29, 2017 01:04PM
Speaking as somebody in a longish boat, there are a number of rides that wouldn't appeal to short boats that tend to come in as the level goes up.

Although I haven't been out since the last high water and it may be gone, there was a beautiful, smooth river wide that came in stronger above 2500 at the low-water ford between the bottom of barking dog and the left turn toward Saufley's. Enormous eddy on river left. I think this is just below the above-mentioned No-name/Barry's Wave. Not huge, maybe 1.5 to 2 ft, but wide enough to put four boats on and smooth enough to learn how to carve back and forth without getting bounced around.

At low levels say 600 -1200, there is another glassy wave if you cross over from the left channel to the right going down barking dog. Again, not a dynamic wave, just a smooth relaxing long boat wave. Won't hold a short boat, but Tim, Ed, and I had three canoes on it at the same time. I was laughing like Tim.

Also, at what I think of as Whitehouse (I think the same as Barry's Log Cabin) there is another quite wide wave that comes in at maybe 2200, although the ghost of it is there lower. It's approximately level with the free standing stone piling in the eddy on river right.

Again, at 2000+ in the wave train below Rebel Yell, maybe 6 waves down from the the Rebel wave itself there is a nice fast standing wave with eddy service from river right.

The Elkhorn's a gift that gives amazing joy at almost any level, it's hard for me to pick a favorite.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
March 29, 2017 04:33PM
Which ones are Barking Dog, Rebel Hole, and Indian Head?
March 30, 2017 12:56PM
[www.bluegrasswildwater.org]

link to the map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 12:57PM by Robert W..
March 30, 2017 01:10PM
need to boat with my role models (retired boaters) again soon and see where the prime eddy service be.
The damn wave is damn good though when its in....

MFW
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.