Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nolichucky this weekend.

Posted by Hanleyk1 
Nolichucky this weekend.
March 17, 2017 09:38AM
I still need to run down to the 'Chucky to pick up my $137 Nomad and it looks like this weekend is going to be the one. Robert Watts has agreed to carpool with me and we're leaving Saturday morning early. I already have a shuttle driver lined up so we can basically show up and go up. If anyone else wants to meet up for a little Nolichucky action this Saturday and Sunday, call or text me and let me know. Here's my cell phone number.

[www.hanleyanddenile.net]

Also, FYI, Robert and I will be staying with my buddy George across the river from the campground. There may be room for additional people, or there may not. A lot depends on the situation on the ground when we arrive. The campground is always open though, and they have indoor accommodations if you choose.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
Re: Nolichucky this weekend.
March 17, 2017 09:48AM
Current plan is to meet at the takeout at approximately noon and head straight for the put-in.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
March 17, 2017 10:41PM
Some day I will finally get on the gorge....

Wes
March 20, 2017 11:29AM
Well Wes, you're hating that it wasn't this weekend. Friday it was running 700-800 and coming up. Talking to my buddy George he said it was raining pretty hard and he figured we'd maybe get up in the 2000 range without much difficulty. That sounded good to me. I wasn't counting on anything more than 800, and I didn't expect a whole lot more from looking at the weather report. When I got up early Saturday morning to drive down, I checked the gauge and it was running 2,800 CFS and change. "Wow", I thought, "That was an unexpectedly large jump." Robert and I got loaded up and left for Tennessee at 7:00 AM in high spirits and didn't think much of it until I got hold of George around 10:00 AM to discover that the 'Chucky was pumping a solid 10,000 CFS and still rising!!!

Narrower that the Upper Gauley and steeper in the first few miles, now it was running 4 x Gauley-Season-standard-release. We switched plans on Saturday and ran the Lower Doe and the Lower Nolichucky, hoping it would drop overnight.

Sunday morning, after a peak of 12,700 CFS, it had dropped back to a little over 5000 by early morning and still dropping, but not as fast as it had been. We drug our feet as long as we could, then finally put on around noon at a little over 4,000 and dropping very slowly. It was an epic day. George and I snuck Robert around a lot of the big stuff up top, but there's no sneaking Last Chance and even the sneaks can get really pushy and trashy at those levels. By the time we got to Roostertail though, Robert wanted to run it and he'd shown that he had the skills to manage the intense squirrelly-ness. The rest of the day was just fun on the bun. Waves, holes, surfing, cold but invigorating, and we still made it back to Lexington by 10:00 PM.

Next time some of y'all will have to come with us.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 11:40AM by Hanleyk1.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.