Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cheoah on Saturday (2/25)

Posted by johnk 
Cheoah on Saturday (2/25)
February 20, 2017 09:11AM
The first scheduled release for the Cheoah (ClassIII/IV+) is this Saturday 2/25.

I am in unless the weather drops to brutally cold or the power company cancels the release. First timers can expect about 6 miles or so of mostly fast Class III-IV- rapids, followed by 2 miles of solid Class IV-IV+ rapids. Many of the rapids are long, most are usually wave train dominated, boofs galore throughout the run, that finishes with a challenging lower section.

If you come you need solid boat control including a bomb proof roll, warm gear (dry top/suit) and good and realistic judgement of your ability.Because the river is roadside you can opt out of the lower(harder) section or just do additional laps on it

May the 2017 season unofficially begin.

Chief
Re: Cheoah on Saturday (2/25)
February 20, 2017 01:33PM
I can also provide a place to crash for a few people on Friday night at my house in Knoxville. Great way to break up the drive down. Let me know if you are interested.
Chief
February 21, 2017 10:41PM
Jimmy and I are down but we have to work until 5 on Friday so it might be later before we can get down.
February 22, 2017 08:57AM
Mike,
Do you and Jimmy want to crash in Knoxville on Friday night?
Chief
February 22, 2017 11:07AM
Chief, you do realize what chaos you are inviting into your house don't you? hot smiley

Can i come?! : -)

MFW
February 22, 2017 01:58PM
Mike,
You can and should come too. No reason to fear chaos.
Chief
February 22, 2017 02:44PM
We do chaos just fine down at Nippur too. Folks welcome to crash here too, either Friday or Saturday night. See you all at the Cheoah on Saturday around noonish...
Brent
February 22, 2017 08:12PM
Noonish it will be
Chief
February 22, 2017 08:37PM
New meet at Dam put in time is 10 AM. Water off at Noon. We can do this.
Chief
February 22, 2017 09:44PM
Fighting a cold but currently planning to be there. Sat only for me though, working Sun night.

Wes
February 23, 2017 08:25AM
I'd love to Chiefus but a friend from china's trip got delayed, so it looks like a working weekend for me. Stay safe!

MFW
February 23, 2017 05:40PM
Looks like I'm going to have to skip out on this weekend due to a person at work walking out on us... I would've called him a coworker but he didn't do any work haha. Hopefully next time. Not sure what Jim's plan is.
February 24, 2017 09:40AM
Dang it Chief, I'm sadly going to miss this one. I sold that sea kayak I used in the race, but unfortunately tweaked my right shoulder teres minor trying to roll the damn thing. It's getting better day by day, and I hope to be back to boating form in a week or two. Keep posting boating plans, and I'm looking forward to seeing you guys soon on the river.

Todd H.
February 24, 2017 10:12AM
Sorry to hear your shoulder's still tweaked Todd. I'm taking that boat to roll session tonight to see how difficult it is to roll. Hopefully I won't tweak my shoulders. I'll send you video if we get any.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
February 24, 2017 10:23AM
Chief and all,
Will see you at the takeout at 10. Will have Jojo rolling with me. Weather should get nice after they cut the water off at noon. Tee hee.
Brent
February 24, 2017 10:30AM
Damn Todd, sorry to hear about your shoulder. One of these days we will be out boating soon though. Heal up.
Brent
February 24, 2017 10:32AM
Oh, and here is the current discussion about the Cheoah on Boater Talk for those wondering about the run: [boatertalk.com]

Brent
February 26, 2017 12:34PM
TRIP REPORT:
Great day on the Cheoah yesterday. Never see crowds like that these days. It was the only game in town for the entire southeast and paddlers came from everywhere. I saw so many friends! The private raft traffic was the busiest I have seen. The day was short, the sky was blue, the temps near 60 and the 1000 cfs of water was off by noon. We arrived around 10:30, me traveling with Jojo and Eric HF and immediately saw Chief, Jason Hettich and Wes Prince at the lake takeout. Mark Singleton joined us and then we started rolling with Matt Rudolph, J.D. and a few other folks up to the put-in at the dam where we met up with YT, Suzie and one of their buddies. As we started floating downstream, Flunker ran down, fully in civilian clothes and said he was going to catch up. He didn't. We figured he must have hooked up with some others. He is good about that. Floating along down to the gas station, another put in location, we were joined by Keith Sprinkle. After waiting a minute in that large pool, our group started boogying down into the meat of the upper stretch and we were immediately dodging and weaving in and out of kayakers and rafts all the way through Gods Dam rapid and below. It stayed crowded and we made our way down through Land of a Thousand Hos by weaving in and out of traffic. Down at the Forest Service Bridge, we all relieved ourselves, stretched our legs and then hopped in for the best action on the Cheoah. Coming into Chaos, Mark Singleton and Chief went one way, I went another way that Ed Bowen showed me once that I like, and then off to the left was some paddler in another group swimming out of the meaty hole beneath the left side boof. YT remembers that hole from a decade ago. The swimmer and his boat got stable and then we all split and ran the creek line at Bear Creek Falls where there were throngs eddied out below. There was fewer main drop lines this day because the water was a skinny thousand. Getting crowded in the eddies and our folks through the drop, Wes and I turned and burned down to the West Prong side where, to our dismay, a raft was jamming one of the boofs midway down and Wes made a slick right crack move to pass it, which I didn't know was there, but followed. Worked great. Traffic was still coming, the raft was moving and jamming and it was sketchy but all good in the end. Not sure why the raft chose such an obviously kayak only line. Bet they won't do that again! From there on down we enjoyed good action all the way past Tapoca Lodge rapid and Yard Sale rapid and then we were on the lake, three hours of solid paddling later, enjoying the fruits of our beautiful day as laughed and chatted, great friends and kindred spirits, traveling at this unique point of time, together, in the stream of consciousness we experience together as paddlers. Oh, and the beer was not bad at the takeout either - quite good in fact! Great day with lots of great friends, many of whom I have known for a quarter of a century or more on rivers. What a special day it was - a guess due to the drought we are experiencing all over the south east. Wish it would rain though! (Hey Wes, if your friend girl took some pictures you can share on this thread, I would love to see them posted here. They don't have to include me at all).
Brent
February 27, 2017 09:36AM
Glad y'all had a good run. Sorry that I missed paddling with you. By the time I was ready to put on some other friends arrived (Ronnie, Parker, and a bunch from franklin/asheville) who had informed me the prior evening to keep them in mind if I was running late. This allowed me the option to skip the race practice to catch up and eliminated the likely possibility of running much of the upper section solo. Hope that didn't create too much confusion. Great to paddle with new folks on the Cheoah (and any river for that matter), as I always catch a new move, route, and/or interpretation. Bear creek was congested but it didn't take away from the great flow of the lower section, just added some additional obstacles (as Brent described on the west prong line). Certainly a strong spirit of camaraderie out there, both on and off the river. The campground take out traffic jam was a welcome opportunity to catch up and socialize. Jessy and I biked at Tsali after, with about 5 or so other boat laden cars in the parking lot. I'm already looking forward to the end of March. Best, John
February 27, 2017 12:53PM
Heck yeah John Flunker, Ronnie and Parker are buddies of mine...good dudes! I guess you know them from our RFG runs back in October, eh? Be sure to hit them up when the West Fork of the Tuck runs!

Sweet TR as always Brent...may I now live vicariously through you guys for a while?

Clay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 12:54PM by clay_Warren.
February 27, 2017 01:59PM
Yeah, the RF runs are the connection! Thanks for the introduction. Enjoy boating with them...Certainly good guys with very solid lines! WFT for sure. Hope to see you out there soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 02:04PM by Flunked.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.