Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2011 BWA Beginners Clinic and Club Social...Call for Volunteers >grinning smiley<

Posted by clay_Warren 
2011 BWA Beginners Clinic and Club Social...Call for Volunteers >grinning smiley<
March 31, 2011 06:15AM
Hello everyone...it's that time of year again to start marking your calendars for May 14th and 15th to attend the annual BWA Spring Clinic (and Club Social)! I would like to continue the tradition my predecessors have set forth by holding, once again, a safe and successful event.......and I need your help! It is my goal to not only create an educational experience for our students, but to also provide an avenue for bringing them into our fantastic BWA family. So please come join me in giving something back to this great sport we all know and love!

There will be a river clean-up on Thursday, May 12th and Friday May 13th for a few hours during the day...with a prize package worth lots 'o karmathumbs up. There will be time for some form of boating on Thursday and Friday as well! There will be Friday Night Lights movie night to welcome our students and get the Clinic started off right. There will be instruction Saturday and Sunday. There will be awards and entertainment Saturday after dinner. There will be food...LOTS of food! Breakfast and dinner provided on Saturday, and breakfast provided on Sunday. And most of all there will be TONS of FUN to be had!

The Clinic will be held on the banks of the Russell Fork at Carson Island in Elkhorn City, KY: google maps
There will be PLENTY of on-site camping availability...so please come hang with the BWA fam!

If you aspire for a little higher standard of living, may I direct your attention here:
Breaks Interstate Park Accommodation Rates
-or- for those requiring RV hook-ups go here:
Breaks Interstate Park Campground Rates

So here's the Volunteer List. Please post here to get in on the action! (I have already had many people express interest in certain roles but I don't want to put your name down until I confirm you're still interested)

Lead Instructor: Bubba Sisk

Breakfast Coordinator (Sat and Sun morning): Don Spangler

Breakfast Crew: Brent Austin, Mike Weeks, Dallas Hargis

Dinner Coordinator (Sat evening): YT

Dinner Crew: Ali Blair, Kristine Wilson, Heather Warman, Bruce Friend

Shuttle Coordinator: Lydia Powell

Shuttle Crew: Linda Tribble, my dad Gary Warren,

Chief Pyro-logist: Mark Blair

Tarpitect: Bart Bledsoe

INSTRUCTORS: Fred Coates, Jason Powell, Brandon Jett, Mark Stuber, Hanley Loller, Fred Wilson, Wes Prince, Larry Cable, Gerald Delong, Steve Ruth, Chris Hellman, Bethany Overfield, Don Perkins (Jr), Jeremy Peavie, Mark Blair, Bart Bledsoe, Alan Kirkwood, Emily Grimes, Emily Dale

KIDS class INSTRUCTORS: Cynthia Grimes, Barry Grimes, Dot

Chase Boaters (need 3): Don Austin, Robert Milgate, Mark Dossett

Video Boaters:

Social Coordinator: me spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Social Advisory Committee:

Jack of All Trades...aka...floaters...aka...dance contest judges: Andi Harbor, Bob Larkin, Will Singleton,

Karma Akkumulators (Russell Fork River Clean-up Crew): Steve Ruth, Bart Bledsoe, Joe Palmer, Heather Warman, Brent Austin, Bubba Sisk, Clay Warren,

We would like everyone in the BWA to come join in on all the fun and festivities, even if you do not wish to volunteer. All we ask is that individuals not volunteering, but wishing to partake in all the entertainment please donate $15 to aid in covering expenses. Kids are free!

The Clinic is for the brand new to the sport boaters up to intermediate boaters. Please reach out to anyone you may know wishing to try out this crazy sport and send them in the right direction! Here is a link to the applications:
Adult Clinic Application

Minor Clinic Application

If you would simply like to spread the love, here is the clinic flyer that Emily Grimes rocked out...available for download:
GrimeTime Clinic Flyer

Please stay tuned for more updates and weekend itinerary!

Respectfully submitted,
Your VP

Edited 18 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 03:39AM by clay_Warren.
Re: 2011 BWA Beginners Clinic and Club Social...Call for Volunteers >grinning smiley<
March 31, 2011 12:05PM
Something about Spring Clinis always gets me going.... Guess it's b/c that's where I got my start.... Anywho - We're waiting to see if Marleigh's Archery team is going to Nationals.... They took 7th overall at State's on Tuesday..... I'm down to help where ever I'll be most beneficial if we're not at Nationals that weekend.... I should know fairly soon and will give you the final "I'm in"

Not sure if we can Nominate peeps or not - But the 6's have what it takes to teach them there kids we have in the Club..... Marleigh has a great time last year, learned a lot, had a blast, and STILL gets excited when she hears C6 and B6 are going to be around... The bond they created with those kids, or at least with mine, will carry her through out her entire boating carreer....She Looks up to them with admiration no only for their boating skills and knowledge, but also for the Amazing people they are... B6 was my Assitance Inst. at my 1st Clinic and then taught my daughter then ext year... Anyway, I'd like to Nominate, if not put a little Twitch in the ears of, C6 & B6 for a Kids class again........

SPRING CLINIC OR BUST!!!

*andi*
Re: 2011 BWA Beginners Clinic and Club Social...Call for Volunteers >grinning smiley<
March 31, 2011 12:18PM
I'm in. First choice would be an assistant instructor for a beginner group.

Jr.
March 31, 2011 12:38PM
Me, Spangler, Mike Weeks for b-fast crew for now.

Brent
March 31, 2011 01:50PM
Video boatin' sounds good to me.

Brandon
March 31, 2011 02:25PM
I'd like to help assist an instructor.

Jeremy
March 31, 2011 02:44PM
We need brandon as an instructor/assistant. Tell him he needs to put down the camera and step up.

I volunteer for instruction, and I'll probably fill in somewhere else too.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
March 31, 2011 02:52PM
You want me to teach people how to swim? OK. As long as someone videos it.

Brandon
March 31, 2011 02:55PM
Always best to learn from an expert.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
March 31, 2011 02:57PM
March 31, 2011 03:32PM
I'll be getting instruction but would be happy to be a floater or dinner slinger (not much of a cook but I'm a great ladler). I can also teach the graceful art of the wet exit.

Ali

Kayak > Prozac
March 31, 2011 06:37PM
What up Clay,
You can put me down for instruction and my wife kristine would like to help with the dinner crew.
Thanks
Fred
April 01, 2011 12:24AM
WOW! Andi, just got home and checked the phorum. Barry and I got WAY more from the loan of your kids (last year at the Clinic kids class) than we put in!...We would be honored to do this again! Bring on 'yer rug rats...we'll whip 'em into shape! And have fun in the process!

Cynthia
April 01, 2011 03:16AM
Thanks everyone for stepping up! I am always AMAZED at the spirit and willingness of our members to volunteer their talents and services!

Andi, if it's ok, I put you down as dance contest judge (aka floater) until you tell me you'd like to do something else or tell me you can't make it. This is a catch 22, I certainly hope Marleigh makes Nationals, but we want/need you at the clinic as well!

Fredw....nice to see you'll be kickin' it with all of us at the clinic! Thank you and your wife for volunteering!

Cynthia, should I pencil B6 in as well? Many many thanks for helping the kiddos out!

Clay
April 01, 2011 03:43AM
Clay,

Put me down for Team Brent's Breakfast Bunch. I can wash dishes, crack eggs, cook sausage, whatever is needed and do it with a semblance of sobriety. I also promise not to scratch my ass while stirring the eggs though we will have to leave it up to Brent to help us define what the term scratch actually means. Not to fear though, this Surgical RN knows what gloves are all about and will bring plenty of them for all. All I ask is that Brent allow me to boat with him sometime that weekend.

May I suggest that Tim Miller NOT be accepted as a member of the Breakfast Bunch. For some reason he always brings out the duct tape when he gets around the bananas. I would volunteer Bruce, They call him Bruce, for dinner but we will leave that up to him to VOLUNTEER TO HELP WITH THE DINNER..

BTW: please allow me to congratulate Bethany. Way to go! I cannot speak for the BWA or anybody associated with it so this comes from only me and my heart: I'm very very proud of you.

Dallas

Dallas

Tattooed and Retired
April 01, 2011 03:55AM
Since I've been play around in the Canoe again, I'll help with that class if there are actually any students. Since there has been some inquiries into the Inflatable Kayaks, I would teach that one again too. Other than that, put me where every you need a body.

Larry Cable

"All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the Flintlock of your Musket".
April 01, 2011 01:02PM
Doesn't look like we'll be heading to Nationals - But she was asked to be on the World's Team and will be Competing in October at the ESPN SportsZone Arena in Orlando for WORLD'S......!!!!!!! pause for a proud mom moment...... Ok now on to business

C6 - I gues you Alll walked away winners form last years kids class - In all seriousness, Marleigh really looks up to you and B6 with more than just esteemed admiration - her literally jumping out of the car and running to hug you at the Khorn was proof of that _ Whatever you all did with those kids out there on the River left a lasting impression - and in these days and times, that really not the easiest of things to do with kids - You guys Rock! And I guess Marls will be clinicing it again if you're teaching - though I think her boating skills have surpassed most - Little Miss Flawless Hand Roll - ugh makes me sick.....

Clay - Are you putting me as Judge of the Dance Contest so that I won't Completely DOMINATE it? We both know that BeYonce ain't got nothing on the Supa-Fly Thoroughbred.... and I don't need no ring on it....DANCE PARTY!!!!! Ok, enough silliness - though I would totally win that contest no holds barred, I will be judge if that's where I am needed - Contestants: Bring Better than your A game - this judge is a toughy!
You can put me down the Welcoming Crew as well -- Seems that last year people, including yourself & Kara, liked having a group of 'Shiners' waiting and applauding your arrival - It's imporant to feel welcome and what does tha better than half drunk boaters and a bottle''o'shine! >grinning smiley<

Ready to be Where the Sun Always Shines ---- Let's get this Clinic Going!!!!!!!

*andi*
April 01, 2011 04:54PM
Ok - So looks like Marleigh is Going to Nationals... We've got fingers crossed that she'll shoot on Friday (the Coach usually tried to get the team out of school when there is an opportunity to do so) and that we'll make it down Friday nite dinnerish...
Even if she does compete, we'll make it there by dinnerish on Satruday so I will still be able to Judge the Dance Competition and be the BWA's Jack of All Trades (I don't mind being called Jack, I've got bigger kahonas than most)...

Anyway - Will keep ya posted on just when we'll be there so you can divy out my Chores and Free Labor as you see fit....

Thanks for Pulling this all together.....

*andi*
April 01, 2011 10:56PM
Sign me up for instructor. Preferably intermediates but will do any level.

Chris H
April 01, 2011 11:04PM
I will be there as well also to support the Viking Canoe Club beginner's clinic running at the same time and place.

As of right now I think they have me down to do a SWR brief course or something to that effect.

Shoot me an email and let me know how I can be of help. Brian Mattingly is coordinating the VCC clinic, so I have no idea if there are combined classes or what.
April 02, 2011 06:38AM
I've decided to list instructors and assistant instructors in the same group. Once we get everyone's name in that would like to volunteer, I'll break the pool of instructors up into teams of instructors/assistant instructors. Again, thank you all for supporting this years clinic! I hope to see more of the slots fill up....c'mon, I know someone wants to be a tarp architect!

Also, if you think you would like to come help with the river clean-up, please post here as well. I know it's during the work week, but the Russell Fork needs your help! I was out there today and we have plenty of work to do! Someone has apparently mistaken the overlook just upstream from Ratliff Hole as a garbage dump. Furthermore, the recent high water events have moved some unsightly things into our same target area. The target area will be easy to get to, and with a good crew we can make worlds of difference in a very short time. We're workin on getting a dumpster to Ratliff Hole as well. Also, If there's anyone out there with repelling expertise that could donate some time that Thurs or Fri, please email or PM me.

Thanks Y'all
Clay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2011 06:42AM by clay_Warren.
April 02, 2011 01:09PM
Clay:

I'm available to help out wherever I can . I could assist/boat chase or instruct beginners. If you need help in the kitchen, I'm much much better at cleaning then cooking.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
April 02, 2011 01:56PM
Thanks Robert. I put you down as a chase boater for now (which in my mind is another instructor but one that focuses on the safety of our more beginner students if a swim occurs), but will be putting you with any C-boater students we may have.

Clay
Clay,

I would like to help out as a chase boater or a assistant instructors if you still need some.

Mark D.
April 03, 2011 01:39PM
Britt may not be able to attend due to a prior commitment. I can assist with the shuttle...have the big Tundra that seats 6 and can carry at least six boats in the back. A TON more than that if Don Spangler and Larry load boats. I probably won't put the racks on the roof given the debacle last year with the 2 boat boof off the hood of the truck.

Linda Tribble
859-229-4358
April 04, 2011 03:36AM
Just put me where u need help.
I will be arriving Thursday at some point.

Heather
April 04, 2011 09:29PM
If we're serving as a volunteer how/when do we pay the $15 for food/entertainment?

Linda Tribble
859-229-4358
April 04, 2011 10:02PM
Linda:

I bet you could make that $15 contribution directly to Fred Coates.

Brent
April 04, 2011 10:44PM
I think the $15 is for non-volunteers.

Jr.
April 05, 2011 02:21AM
I still haven't decided if I should sign up to volunteer, or be a student. Either way I plan to help with some river clean up. Anyone have suggestions? Should I volunteer or attend as a student? Seems like a good opportunity to gain some knowledge from some more experienced boaters.

Bill
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.