Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Public Apology

Posted by Hanleyk1 
Public Apology
February 20, 2018 11:10AM
It has been brought to my attention that our Friday night speaker, Jack Wright, managed to make himself very unwelcome with some of the attendees, particularly some of the female attendees. I want to apologize on behalf of myself and (to whatever extent I represent it) the NPFF. Personally, I knew Jack was kind of socially awkward and sometimes audacious and inappropriate, but I didn't really see how far that went. I'm embarrassed and disappointed and I want everyone out there to know that if they have some negative feedback for me concerning this, or any other issue, I want to hear it.

A wise man once said, "A real friend will tell you when you've got a booger on your nose". As flippant as that sounds, those are words to live by. People are generally quick to give you positive feedback but reluctant to give real criticism, and for good reason, most people are not open to being criticized. Providing honest negative feedback is difficult and often has negative consequences, which is why it is important to listen carefully when someone speaks up and give their words weight, as if ten other people are biting their tongues, because usually they are.

So, again I want to apologize. I will work to do better in the future. I'm sure I won't always succeed, but I will continue to work to do better and to be more aware. I appreciate the feedback and I really mean it when I say that you should give me that honest negative feedback. I want to hear it. I may not always like it, but I will try to give it the attention it deserves.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 03:17PM by Hanleyk1.
Re: Public Apology
February 20, 2018 03:26PM
Because there has been some potential misunderstanding in the Facebook discussion on this topic, I want to be clear. Several people were offended by Jack, but no one is accusing him of Sexual Harassment. If anyone does feel like Jack crossed a line beyond this, please let me know.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
February 20, 2018 04:58PM
I don't do Facebook so I don't know what is being said. However, on the drive from Asheville and back I did find Jackson quite eccentric, and he even made me blush a time or two. But, it might be good to cut him a little slack, and think that sometimes people in their upper 70's can be subject to aging or even dementia! I am pretty sure if you look in Webster dictionary it will have a picture of Jackson right below the definition of "eccentric"

B. J. - kayak bum and river guide
February 20, 2018 05:36PM
With this said, I do not think that innapropriate behaviour is appropriate for anyone!

B. J. - kayak bum and river guide
February 28, 2018 06:17AM
Hanley,
You are a great person and there is no need in my mind for you to apologize for other people's behavior.

Joe W.
February 28, 2018 08:39AM
I second that statement.

Dallas

Tattooed and Retired
February 28, 2018 05:25PM
Ditto Hanley. We've all had things, despite our best efforts that just don't work out the way we planned. You've done a lot and do a lot for this club, thank you for everything.

Bob
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.