Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Cold in Southeast

Posted by bj196321 
Cold in Southeast
January 06, 2018 10:42AM
It is by far the coldest long streak in East Tennessee and West North Carolina that I have witnessed since moving here! There are moving creeks completely froze over and the French Broad in Asheville is froze from bank to bank - the first time in years according to news reports. However, they are calling for 50+ degrees this Sunday and Monday. For those considering boating you may want to wait for that heat wave!

B. J.- Kayak bum and river guide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 10:43AM by bj196321.
Re: Cold in Southeast
January 06, 2018 11:53PM
It's colder than a witches tit in Lexington! Have fun in the slightly warmer weather!

Mike D
January 08, 2018 10:22AM
Winter of 2001 (or was it 2002) November and December were the coldest two months on record for the United States at the time. I was living in Erwin and it didn't get out of single digits there for the last couple of weeks of December. South Indian Creek (Nolichucky tributary) that ran in front of my house froze over and there was snow on the ground and that was when I saw river otters for the first time. They had been re-introduced to the area earlier that year and that morning they were lounging on the ice in front of my house eating fish. They had a hole in the ice and as soon as they were done with one fish they'd slip down and fetch another. Never took them very long, I'm guessing the fish were pretty torpid and it was like picking fruit for them. I just remember watching those fat, sleek, wet creatures lounging on the ice and eating fish after fish in five degree weather and thinking that they looked amazingly comfortable and happy. It's a pleasant recollection of my family's time there.

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
January 12, 2018 07:03PM
The water in the ocoee was pretty cold this week but still fun as hell.

Joe W.
January 21, 2018 09:12PM
Giant ice flow dam that required portaging, today on the Nolichucky. Pretty wild and cool looking.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.