Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Domain renewal SurfKY-BWA.org

Posted by Hanleyk1 
Domain renewal SurfKY-BWA.org
November 03, 2017 08:45AM
It's that time of year again when this debate resurfaces. I'll just copy and paste the post I made exactly one year ago on this day.

It's time we $h!t or get off the pot about SurfKY-BWA.org. Predictably, I got busy and forgot to put a notification page up on it last year.

Copied post below (slightly edited):
*********************************************************************************

Our domains are up for renewal in 30 days. Invoice below. I assume that we want to renew everything.

Amount Due: $116.25 USD
Due Date: 12/02/2017

Invoice Items

Hosting - bluegrasswildwater.org (12/02/2016 - 12/01/2017) $59.40 USD

Domain Renewal - bluegrasswildwater.org - 1 Year/s (12/02/2016 - 12/01/2017) $12.95 USD

Domain Renewal - npff.org - 1 Year/s (12/02/2016 - 12/01/2017) $12.95 USD

Domain Renewal - surfky-bwa.org - 1 Year/s (12/02/2016 - 12/01/2017) $12.95 USD

Forwarding - npff.ORG (12/02/2016 - 12/01/2017) $9.00 USD

Forwarding - surfky-bwa.org (12/02/2016 - 12/01/2017) $9.00 USD

------------------------------------------------------

Sub Total: $116.25 USD

Credit: $0.00 USD

Total: $116.25 USD
------------------------------------------------------

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
Re: Domain renewal SurfKY-BWA.org
November 03, 2017 09:13AM
For reference, here is the story of SurfKY-BWA.org, abbreviated.

Several years ago our original domain, SurfKY.org, was poached out from under us by a Russian Company. In response, we registered a new domain, SurfKY-BWA.org and frantically sought out every link to SurfKY.org on the internet to get them to change their link. (There were quite a lot of them out there). About 5 years ago, we decided to change our domain to BluegrassWildwater.org. When we did that, we set up a redirection on SurfKY-BWA.org so that links pointed to that domain would be redirected to BluegrassWildwater.org.

In practical terms, this means that anyone who had a link on their website or a bookmark in their browser did not have to change it. It also means that if we drop SurfKY-BWA.org that all of those links will suddenly stop working (or worse yet, start going to a site set up by someone (Russian?) who decides to pick the domain up.)

So, we have 3 choices:

1) Do nothing. Pay the $22 again this year and every year to keep the domain and forwarding.

2) Just drop it. Let the chips fall where they may.

3) Set up a "Courtesy Page" at SurfKY-BWA.org that tells anyone going there that the domain will be discontinued on a specific date and containing a link to BluegrassWildwater.org along with a suggestion to change their link.

Steering committee?

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
November 03, 2017 10:54AM
Hanley,
I will add this to the agenda for the steering committee next week. My vote will probably be to keep it set up the same with everything we are already working on right now. Do you just need a club credit card to pay for the renewals or is this something one of us could do? If we approve to spend $116.25 on these services. Does this cover us until next year? Are there any price breaks to pay for a couple years in advance. Would be great if you came to the steering committee next week and dropped some of your awesome knowledge on us.

Best Regards,

Kyle Koeberlein

Treasurer
Bluegrass Wildwater Association, INC
Personal Mobile: (502) 370-1289
BWA Company: (859) 428-8435

Note: BWA number currently rings club president and treasurer.
November 03, 2017 01:56PM
If I can make it, I'll be there.

I usually pay it and the club reimburses me. We could get a small break for a multi-year registration. If we incorporate, then I think that's a good idea. However, as long as it's all registered in my name, I think that year to year is the way to go.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
November 05, 2017 11:56AM
I will not be at the steering committee meeting but I would vote that we move it to the club's name and put a multi-year registration on the club card.

Ben Mudd
BWA Treasurer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2017 10:06AM by Bamudd.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.