Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

smileys with beer BWA / Viking Summer Party... Weekend of August 12th.

Posted by xsubdude99 
smileys with beer BWA / Viking Summer Party... Weekend of August 12th.
July 11, 2017 04:48PM
Hi All,

On the weekend of August 12th, the BWA and the Vikings will be holding our annual Summer Party on the Ocoee at the same campground at Ocoee Outdoors as we've held it for the last couple of years. Camping will be available for free to club members on Friday and Saturday night, but if you'd like Thursday night as well just let me know.

As has been our tradition, we will probably be looking at doing a dinner on Saturday night for which the clubs will be providing the main courses so all are encouraged to bring a side dish to share with others. As plans progress I'll keep you informed.

Bob
Re: smileys with beer BWA / Viking Summer Party... Weekend of August 12th.
July 11, 2017 05:15PM
For those that have not attended this event before, the Ocoee River location has been chosen because it provides the perfect spot for just about every skill set. The upper and middle sections of the Ocoee provide really good paddling for class 3 and 4 boaters and the nearby Hiwassee River provides a more relaxing class 2 river run for those just wanting to relax for a nice summer time paddle.

The campground itself is located 100 yards before Ocoee Outdoors which is located at 1985 Hwy 64, Old Copper Rd, 37307 Benton, TN. The campground is seldom used, private and provides restrooms and a bathhouse. In the past, bears have been spotted in the vicinity, although their have been no specific sightings that I know of as of yet this year but please take precautions when storing food and garbage.

Look for the BWA sign, which will be posted near the entrance to the campground. Don't miss this event, it'll be a lot of fun.

Bob
July 13, 2017 01:00PM
Cool. I am really glad we are doing this party with the Vikings!
Brent
July 13, 2017 01:25PM
They are a fun bunch of knuckleheads for sure and I heard a rumor that they might be bringing back the margarita bar on Saturday night.

Bob
Ace
July 13, 2017 02:37PM
I'd like to add one suggestion for those newbies who have graduated from the Hiwassee but don't feel like they're prepared for the Ocoee yet.
There is the Ocoee "lite" section that is all roadside and easy to lap. You can put on just below the Double Suck hole (look for big rock in middle of river with a sign on it) and take out at Goforth Creek (sign on road). This section is as easy and hazard-free as it gets on the Ocoee but is still a lot of fun and includes Double Trouble and Flipper rapids. Working this section is a good way to prepare for running the rest of the Middle Ocoee.
July 13, 2017 03:26PM
Good point Ben. To add to that, I've always told people the Ocoee is a fantastic river to not only dial in your Class III skills but also push all the way up to a Class V skillset in a fairly safe environment. You don't become a Class V kayaker by running Class V, you become a Class IV and V kayaker on Class III and IV. Even if you never aspire to run Class IV or V, it's nice to know you have the skills that go along with it. Work the river, there are soooo many fun moves out there!

Clay
July 15, 2017 12:34PM
Now that I feel pretty confident just running this river, I'm looking forward to really working it if anyone has any advice for good practice moves and such

Ben Mudd
BWA Treasurer
July 16, 2017 11:54AM
Ben,
You should stop by rock creek outfitters and pick up a copy of Jeff west's ocoee guide book. It has all the rapids laid out with three levels of difficulty.

Joe W.
July 17, 2017 09:14AM
Oooh good call didn't know that existed.

Ben Mudd
BWA Treasurer
July 17, 2017 10:40AM
Taking a class from Joe w/ ACE introduced me to a lot of moves I didn't otherwise know. Great way to learn skills and the river too.

Boles
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.