Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's time to talk about clinic!

Posted by MeganP 
It's time to talk about clinic!
May 04, 2017 04:55PM
The time is here to discuss the 2017 Spring Clinic, which will be held at Ratliff Hole from June 2-4th.

Brandy has provided me with the list of most of the people who have signed up for positions already, but there are still plenty of opportunities to get involved. More than any other event, clinic is only possible through a huge effort on the part of the whole club. Please let me know if you you're willing to take on any of these tasks:

- Lead Instructor- Reviews applications and assigns students to appropriate classes, distributes class lists and other info to instructors, gives a safety talk before everyone heads out on the water.

- Student Gear Coordinator - Reviews applications for students who report they need to borrow gear, and then helps make sure they get matched up with a club member who is willing to loan it to them.

-Kitchen help (breakfast crew - Sat and Sun) and dinner crew (Sat)

- Instructors and Assistant instructors -we have quite a few people on this list already, and we won't know about many we need until we get a student count, so just let us know if you are willing to fill either of these positions

- Grounds crew - periodically empties trash cans, checks bathrooms for toilet paper, tidying up throughout the event and does one big cleanup on Sunday.

-Shuttle drivers - need at least one, but preferably two people with vehicle that can pull the trailer or carry boats and people back and forth in the mornings and afternoons.

-We always need help transporting stuff (boat trailer, extra gear, kitchen stuff, etc) down to Elkhorn City and back. If you have room to haul extra stuff, holler.

BUT... MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE... we need students. We do not have many apps yet, and while they do historically come in at the last minute (because even new boaters are slackers) we are behind where we usually are at this point. So think of the friend you have that would most love kayaking, and harass them every day until they agree. You'll be doing them a favor in the long run.

You can reach me on here or via email at meganplarkin@gmail.com. Thanks in advance!

-MeganL
Re: It's time to talk about clinic!
May 04, 2017 11:37PM
Megan:

I don't know if I'm already on a list or not, I can't remember, but I'll help out where I can.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
May 05, 2017 10:05AM
Happy to help with instruction...and I'm looking forward to the clinic!
Hope we can get the Taylor's involved with teaching again, both Clinton and Jeremy.
Thanks for putting all of this together, Megan!
May 05, 2017 10:39AM
Thank you to everyone who has stepped up so far. I have a tentative list that is made up of older and newer offers to help. This is what we have so far and it's very tentative:

Instructors and assistant instructors:
Hanley (Lead)
Barry and Cynthia Grimes (Kids)
Johnny Law
Bethany O
Mark Miller
Terry Ratliff
Justin Quizenberry
Chief
Dot
Mike D.
Isaac Thompson
Ben Mudd
John Flunker

Kitchen: Peter Stutts, Brent Austin

Anything that needs to be done (unassigned): Zina, Robert, Nate Scally

As you can see, we need a lot more kitchen help and cleaning help, as well as people to shuttle and help get equipment down to EC.

We're also looking for some leadership roles that can kind of take a weekend task and make it their own. These include a kitchen leader and a groundskeeper. The kitchen leader will set up the kitchen, organize the kitchen helpers and make sure everything runs smoothly. The grounds keeper will oversee the camping areas, bathrooms, etc, to make sure the grounds stay tidy and the bathrooms/hand washing stations stay stocked. And as mentioned before, we also need a student/loaned gear coordinator.

Traveling for work this weekend. Maybe when I come back, all the slots will have been filled? Maybe?

-MeganL
May 05, 2017 11:02AM
I'm a gear nerd. If you don't have any other takers in the works I can step up to that.

BAM
May 05, 2017 11:59AM
You're hired! I'll be in touch with more details as more apps come in. I've done in the last couple years, so I have some tips.

-MeganL
May 05, 2017 12:15PM
Ok cool. Do you have my number? I prefer not to post it openly on the forum so facebook message me if not.

BAM
May 05, 2017 01:24PM
It's in the directory, thanks!

-MeganL
May 11, 2017 09:32AM
I'm free to volunteer! I would prefer to be on the water at least part of the time and I have been doing roll instruction for a while now, also I have loaner gear.
May 12, 2017 11:07AM
Bob and I can help with breakfast both mornings.
Tina
502-558-4504
May 17, 2017 11:14AM
I wanted to mention that a video crew is looking to cover the Russel Fork that weekend. The producer is looking for sponsors and a I think it would be cool also to have our clinic featured on the show. I'll be following this thread to see who the best person is for him to talk to about having a professional video crew there. Please let me know.

Andrew Van Horn
Captain of the Pirate Ducky Fleet
Ace
May 17, 2017 12:53PM
Any media requests should be referred to our president Bob Larkin.
Ace
May 17, 2017 12:58PM
Megan I don't think I can volunteer due to the proximity to Leslie's due date but if you need additional loaner boat/gear for someone my size I can supply it. Also have a smaller Pyranha Ammo setup that would work for a short/small man, large child, or woman.
Ben Murphy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 12:58PM by Ace.
May 25, 2017 07:53AM
I don't know if I'm already on a list but I can help where needed.

Walt

Walt
May 25, 2017 10:25PM
Thank you so much to everyone who has already helped or has offered to. Our student numbers have almost tripled in the last few days, going from just 12 to 32, with more coming in. I have a good feeling about these students. They're already on boater time.

Since this is really turning into something, we really need all you last minute decision makers to step up and commit to helping out. We still need assistant instructors and grounds crew more than anything else. But we can also use people to help in the kitchen, especially Saturday night.

We will be doing armbands this year. Students and volunteers (who sign up before the clinic actually starts!) will get an armband automatically. It will be $20 for everyone else who plans to camp or eat. Remember this is a club fundraiser, and feeding 20-30 non volunteering, non paying crashers is a drain on our limited budget.

So save yourself $20 and lend a hand. Please let me know asap if you can help us out.

Thanks!

-MeganL
May 26, 2017 07:41AM
I can do assistant instruct if needed.
May 28, 2017 08:37PM
Megan,
Betsy would like to be an instruction assistant.
Chief
May 29, 2017 09:42PM
Instructors, chase boaters, and cleanup crew still needed. Really hope to get classes assigned and have everything set by tomorrow evening. Please let me know if you are able to take any of these tasks.

Thanks!

-MeganL
May 31, 2017 08:35AM
OK, I'm not working this weekend or having any family emergencies at the moment, so if you need an instructor for a beginners group, I can do that this weekend. Let me know so I can get some gear ready.

Larry Cable

"All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the Flintlock of your Musket".
May 31, 2017 09:43AM
Megan, I can be a chase boater or clean up crew if you still need people!

Let me know!
859-9four0-3zero8seven

Nolan A.
May 31, 2017 02:31PM
Larry,

I think we'll be okay on instructors and chase boaters. We have a very low student to teacher ratio so even if we lose an instructor, it will remain low. But come on down and enjoy the festivities.

And anyone who has any extra gear, bring it or let Ben Mudd know so he can get these students covered.

-MeganL
Ace
May 31, 2017 07:02PM
Megan was a release secured for the clinic?
May 31, 2017 08:39PM
Ben, Yes.

-MeganL
June 01, 2017 08:48PM
Megan,

Would be glad to help.
Just let me know what I can do.

Thanks, Mark Witt
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.