Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Still plenty of room in the SWR class- CLASS CANCELLED

Posted by xsubdude99 
Still plenty of room in the SWR class- CLASS CANCELLED
April 13, 2017 06:22PM
Hi All,

I know it's Easter weekend and time is running extremely short but we still have plenty of room for students in the SWR class scheduled for this weekend. We are "hoping" to have another later in the year but don't depend on it. Trying to remember what you had for Easter dinner is a terrible substitute for skill when you watch a friend in trouble. PM, email or call Mike Wilson right now and get signed up, your friends will thank you.

+++++ UPDATE +++++ Just found out that if we do not get 1 more student signed up by tonight that this course will be cancelled. Call right now.....

+++++ UPDATE 2++++++ The class is a go, we have enough to hold it.

+++++ UPDATE 3++++++ SWR class has been cancelled. Sorry folks. All deposits have been refunded. See post below.

Bob

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 10:38PM by xsubdude99.
Re: Still plenty of room in the SWR class- Need 1 more or cancelled
April 13, 2017 07:39PM
Just signed up.

Kris Mullins.
April 13, 2017 07:55PM
Awesome, thanks Kris.

Bob
April 13, 2017 09:08PM
too late guys Im canceling. I didnt sign up to be in limbo all the way up till the class.

I have heard the statement "its so hard to find an instructor or class" Thats a bullshit statement. There arent enough people who truly value a rescue course enough to make their plans around it. Its true.

I was supposed to be at my lake house relaxing on a very rare evening off and I am not now so I apologize if this message appears as if I am being short. I am trying to deal with not having a class with enough people in it but the more I do the less its worth to me you must realize. I have given up a weekend of commercial opportunities with my rafting as I was trying to avoid pulling double duty.

SWR isn't about $ for me in any way, really it is about having good classes and I am sorry but I just don't see it happening now. The scenarios we do call for a number of people at minimum to do and that significantly reduces the classes safety by not having more than number actually. I feel sorry for the dedicated and excited few who wanted to actually take the class and made an effort to be in it.

As for doing another class, no thanks. My heart isn't into risking the same amount of work I have already done and wont see a result from. I cant risk losing another weekend mid-season like this and October is not an option either. IF you were a student you will find that I have already processed all of your payment refunds in full including the non-refundable security I take to pay for my work thats already happened.

As for me, consider me retired from the instruction business and I hope that you have luck finding a class in the future.
Jason Foley
April 13, 2017 10:08PM
Jason, I think the biggest problem we had here was the date, not the level of commitment. After your post I think I'll hold my comments but I do want to thank you for your time, effort and for issuing a speedy refund to those that signed up.

Bob
Re: Still plenty of room in the SWR class- CLASS CANCELLED
April 14, 2017 08:26AM
Thanks for trying. I know that there's no such thing as an easy time to schedule something like this. Happy Easter
April 14, 2017 08:33AM
Yeah it was date for me too. Nothing to do with Easter - my work schedule request deadline for this month was Feb 28. Working 2 shifts this weekend. Sorry.

Wes
April 14, 2017 09:06AM
I love how you can edit your posts to make things look like they were something that they weren't back in time. " +++++ UPDATE 2++++++ The class is a go, we have enough to hold it. " That was never true. This is a false representation that you went back and edited of you trying to keep the class together after i had already cancelled it.

Its almost like saying you have comments on something but youll hold them. All this after you and we spoke over email too Bob. You want to put this on me I will put these stats out there:

since 2015 I have taught 5 classes (around 65 people), canceled one last May and tried to teach this one. I had one BWA member in all those classes and 1 sign up for this class ahead of time. Your decisions reflect your priorities. You all make lots of decisions on how to have huge parties, that's your priority.

I wanted to say I appreciate the kind words so many folks have expressed in the last few hours. Its unexpected but I appreciate it regardless.
April 14, 2017 10:13AM
Jason is a super great guy and I know he is not in it for the money but I think that the club should give him some compensation for his loss of revenue in this situation.

Joe W.
April 14, 2017 11:36AM
To make one thing clear, no one was trying to make any body look like anything.... only communicate the situation. Bob and I tried really hard up to the deadline to try and get the sixth student to make this class happen. People needed to work, or celebrate easter, or be with family, or replace totaled cars.... but it is a shame that not enough people stepped up and i'll include myself in that pot.

I'm sorry this happened jason, and everybody else.

SYOTR

MFW
To make one thing clear, no one was trying to make any body look like anything.... only communicate the situation. Bob and I tried really hard up to the deadline to try and get the sixth student to make this class happen. People needed to work, or celebrate easter, or be with family, or replace totaled cars.... but it is a shame that not enough people stepped up and i'll include myself in that pot.

SYOTR

MFW

SYOTR

MFW
April 14, 2017 12:55PM
Ok, enough of this. You both put a lot of effort into this and I am sorry it didn't work out. I know both your hearts were in the right place on this and sometimes things happen. In any event, the one thing I do know for sure was that the BWA should have had a much, much bigger response to this. Until yesterday, I truly thought this event was sold out. I've been so involved with other things that I haven't been following this as closely as I should have but damn, I'm still having a hard time believing, after all the complaining I've heard about us not getting a SWR class going in the past several years that we as a group responded so poorly to this opportunity.

People, as boaters, it's your responsibility to be as well trained as possible should the need arise to assist another boater in trouble. I mean there are reasons for missing a class like this. I understand family obligations, car trouble, jobs and all the other stuff life throws at you but damn, really? Even though I wasn't involved in this that much, I do know that both Jason and Mike put a lot of work into this, and both of them deserve a lot of credit for that.

I am truly sorry it didn't work out guys. Try not to take it so hard and I promise, the next time we get something like this going, if I have to tie up a bunch of BWAer's and Z-drag them to the course, I will. That's not an empty threat people... when I took the SWR class, Jason taught me how to do it.

Jason and Mike, good work guys regardless of the outcome. SYOTR.

Bob
Ace
April 14, 2017 02:46PM
I feel bad in this situation because I was one of the originals who thought 4/15 would be a good weekend. I was just looking at my phone calendar and it looked open; it didn't occur to me that it was Easter until a couple weeks later when my wife told me.
Bottom line is we should have reevaluated when we figured out it was Easter.
As for moving forward I hope Foley gets over the hard feelings. The club has already committed to a substantial "subsidy" anyway, why not just prepay as a club for a weekend course? Attendees then pay the BWA. That way if no one shows up Foley can just go fishing and still get paid. I don't think it's going to be a problem filling the class if a non-holiday weekend is picked.
Ben Murphy
April 17, 2017 08:37AM
No hard feelings you all are still considered friends. At this point there is no use rehashing this. As far as money I don't want any.

As far as being retired I was serious.

There are enough swiftwater rescue instructors out there for everyone to get training. The single biggest method to be a better kayaker beyond paying for coaching is to be in a swr class. It opens your eyes to things you would never be comfortable doing without being in a class. I promise it makes better kayakers almost immediately so go get you some.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.