Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Roll Session 3/24

Posted by Hanleyk1 
Roll Session 3/24
March 24, 2017 10:47AM
If you're not leaving for the river tonight, it's an IDEAL evening for rolling. Weather's pretty warm and we'll all be heading to Ramsey's (on Tates Creek) afterwards for beer and/or pie.

Hey all you so-called "Bad A$$ Boaters", when's the last time you were upside down? If you had to stop and think, then you should be coming to roll sessions.

If you're so good that you rarely go upside down... and realistically there are a lot of folks in the club like that... then you should be coming to roll sessions.

If you only get out every so often and probably haven't rolled in years, but still plan on doing high water in the spring, big releases in the summer and Gauley/Russell Fork in the fall, then you DEFINITELY need to come to roll sessions.

I'm lookin' at you Dallas, when's the last time you were upside down?

Wes, you used to come all the time, but I haven't seen you in a while. Now I hear you swam last weekend? You live just down the street, practially crawling distance.

Tom, Jeff, Joe, Don? Haven't seen any of you guys in a while. If you swim while I'm around, you know what the first thing I'm going to say is....

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
Re: Roll Session 3/24
March 24, 2017 12:54PM
Lower Mash and you were there. Some on the Might Elkhorn but the outcomes were far better. Wanna go to the BSF tomorrow?

Hey MFW. I signed and did not even have to do it. Stealth is better kept at the military level

Dallas

Tattooed and Retired
March 24, 2017 01:20PM
That's right, you did.

Still be good to see you at roll session and I dare say it would do you some good. Whaddaya say?

That's a big El Negatory on the BSF. Went to the 'Chucky this past weekend for big fun and to retrieve my $137 Nomad (which is beautiful by the way) so I need to stay home this weekend.

BONUS: Come to roll session tonight and feast your eyes on a $137 Dagger Nomad. GAZE WITH AMAZEMENT upon it's upper deck beauty. AVERT YOUR EYES from it's horrific hull scar. STARE IN WONDER at the space where it's rear wall once was.

Hey, if you come on out, I'll let you pick a new pocket cutting device from my wondrous collection. Come one, come all!!!

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 01:22PM by Hanleyk1.
March 24, 2017 02:01PM
I practice rolling on the river all the time! The swim had more to do with me being totally out of breath going into the biggest rapid on lower Big Creek at good flow than my technique. But nevertheless as you know I'm a firm believer in frequent practice regardless of skill. Maybe for tonight. Much to do between now and leaving for the Cheoah and Karen wants to travel tonight. Been a busy work week and need to outfit 2 boats.

Wes
March 24, 2017 04:43PM
I will vouch for Wes on that. He has got me doing it too! I roll practice every time I am on a river. I roll in carnage and meaty waters because of it and already have several times this season. But, I agree with Wes that sometimes its not the roll, but the hole that does you in. I got roped out of two holes last year and rolls did not matter. Just some good solid brothers with good river rescue skills that we sometimes employ everyday when we are on challenging rivers. Go get your SWR ya'll, and do it every 5 years! It is great to stay tuned up in addition to the stuff we do on the river every day.
Brent
March 27, 2017 09:14AM
Well, I'd better chime in before it bites me on the a$$ to say that, yeah, things happen and people swim sometimes despite a bombproof ambidextrous roll... although Brent, I'm sure that you know the syndrome of which I speak. I know you've seen it too. Older, experienced boater simply doesn't go upside-down for literally years at a time and all of a sudden, WHAM! Then it seems like you never see that person on the water anymore. It's happened more than once. Friends don't let friends fall into complacency about their roll.

Also, I'm just giving Wes a little grief because I can and because I haven't seen him in a while.

Still Wes, you could probably afford to spend an evening doing your exercises, and we really are just a few hundred yards from your home.

Wes actually has a pretty good routine for stressing himself to simulate rolling under duress and he works it pretty hard. He's probably the most prepared-to-roll boater in the club. Honestly Wes, there's a group of young boaters at the sessions right now who could probably benefit from your process. They're nailing rolls pretty well, getting pretty ambidextrous, just starting to hit slightly harder water and are eagerly seeking ways to shore up their skills toolkit.

Brent, if by some miracle you find yourself in Lexington on a Friday night, we'll be here. We'll save a spot for you.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
March 27, 2017 09:31AM
Fair enough Hanley, yes I do. Been there myself a few times in life actually. That is why I try to take a que from Wes and roll everytime I get on the river. Did multiple times both yesterday and Saturday in fact. Also, Wes rolled up after flipping in the bottom of the Sinks yesterday, like a champ. His roll is super solid as long as he has a paddle. A broken paddle yesterday you ask? That is a story for another time.

And yes, I need to come by to roll sessions, if I can ever be in town on a Friday. I bet my hand roll on both sides sux!

As always Hanley, you are such a great promoter of roll practice and it is true what you say about the importance of it for old boaters and new boaters alike.

Brent
March 28, 2017 11:38AM
Brent, you're too kind, or just kind enough, one of those. Be good, surf hard.

_

Hanley Loller

--Rickie Dale Larson
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.