Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SWR - RUSSELL FORK - 4/15-16

Posted by mfwilson 
SWR - RUSSELL FORK - 4/15-16
March 15, 2017 03:58PM
Just got off the phone with Jason Foley and we have got the weekend of 4/15 lined out for a swiftwater rescue class.

Thats about all for meow. Details will become available as they become available. Should have a site set up in the next few days to start the registration down payment process, but we are locked in for that date.

Safety 1st and 3rd.

MFW
Re: SWR - RUSSELL FORK - 4/15-16
March 15, 2017 03:59PM
WHO: Jason Foley and the FIRST 16 that register!

DATE: 4/15-16

TIME: 8-4 each day (tentatively, just make sure you are there friday night so you can be prepared Saturday morning)

WHERE: Russell Fork (exact location TBD based on water conditions and camping situation)

HOW:
online registration form will be loaded @kentuckywhitewater
Register and make down payment ($50)

$$$$: $125 (50+75)

stay tuned

mfw
March 17, 2017 09:13AM
That's Easter weekend, by the way.
-Zina
March 23, 2017 11:44AM
There will be a follow up announcement regarding online registration once the page goes live.

Thanks for the heads up Zina.

i am NOT FUNNY (edit)

MFW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 12:27PM by mfwilson.
March 23, 2017 12:10PM
EDIT to accommodate for Mike's humor:
I appreciate you planning everything, but due to Easter, I can only do Saturday. But dang, I don't want to miss out. Although perhaps not ideal or feasible, I wonder about the possibility of one day attendance (via Jason), as long as I do not take anyone's place or prevent adequate instruction. Doubtful, but maybe worth asking. My thought is that others may have the same question about a one day attendance due to the holiday. Yet, keeping in mind that it is really a two day course, it seems having two days to devote is best for skills acquisition/etc.
Looking forward to seeing this SWR aspect of the club promoted and practiced!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 12:44PM by Flunked.
March 23, 2017 10:22PM
Oh really? Dude...Oh geez...throw me under the bus...OK...I appreciate you planning everything around me. I'm, pretty sure you told me you would only join the bwa if we planned everything around you, and now your complaining about getting what you wanted? Thanks whoever said you can get the form sent to your email does Facebook do that?

To Boof or not to Boof? What was the question? Why dont you use your name on your Signature?
March 24, 2017 08:33AM
John,

Although some instruction is better than none, those 2 days are really packed with information. If you can only make one day of the class this go around, unless there's an empty spot right before the deadline you may want to wait for the next class.

Bob
Ace
March 24, 2017 08:44AM
kyjim needs one of those breathalyzer attachments to lock him out of the forum while intoxicated
March 24, 2017 09:16AM
Agreed, Bob.
Ben, yeah, it's clear the shit Jimmy is always talking being about up to his nose or ears in has started flowing out of his mouthwinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 09:20AM by Flunked.
March 28, 2017 08:38AM
you all underestimate KY JIM, he don't need no alcohol to think or share crazy thoughts...hot smiley

MFW

PS i hear if you sign your posts, when they go to peoples emails directly people know who's talking. My internet hurts.
March 28, 2017 11:55AM
The new owner of rip roaring on the Pigeon River will be offering a Level 5 swr class this year for those that have conflict with other swr classes being offered! When dates and times are known I will post on forum.

B. J. - kayak bum: the only ambition I ever had in life and it was worth the wait
March 28, 2017 03:26PM
Thanks BJ! I bet its more than 125 dolla

mfw
March 28, 2017 08:02PM
Joe told me about $100. He has extensive guide experience on royal gorge in Colorado and other western Rivers plus guide on gauley before buying rip roaring on Pigeon River this winter. Aca certifide Level 5 swr instructor.
March 29, 2017 04:09PM
Lets not get these two courses confused they are completely different. Level 5 is not the same course as the level 4 paddler course. L5 is a one day refresher/skill progression for advanced folks and river pros who have already had a course and know what they are doing ahead of time somewhat. it is one day and doesnt cover any of the stuff L4 covers because you should learn it all in L4 before. I used to certify for L5 but saw no need in continuing it because its just not a frequently requested class. The only time i taught it was in succession to a L4 class the same week

pre-req for level 5 is really a level 4 class:
Course Prerequisites:
Participants should have completed an ACA (or equivalent) Swiftwater Rescue workshop within
the past three years. Participants should be in good health and overall fitness, possess solid
swimming ability, and be comfortable swimming in moving current during river drills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 04:13PM by jasonfoley.
March 30, 2017 10:48PM
Thanks for clearing that up Jason and for teaching this class for us. For those that haven't taken this course with Jason yet, it is well worth your time and may in fact save your life or those that paddle with you. I took Jason's course several years ago and have used what I learned there many times. You're the best Jason and thanks again, there are paddlers out there still paddling because of you.

Bob
March 30, 2017 11:57PM
I'd love to but with that being easter weekend and family obligations I won't be able to make it. Any idea when the second class will be?
April 12, 2017 09:06AM
Thanks for the kind words Bob, its something that I like to do so it makes it hard to quit. I found some pics of a couple allstar BWA classes from the past. I need to scan them and post them. We have kept the class close to pocket for the sake of BWA getting first dibs. We are going to open the registration up to the rest of the world today. As an added incentive if anyone joins AW as a new member and can prove it to me Ill take that off the cost of the class.

If anyone is interested get registered today as we have a few spots left but I wont over fill the class. The big questions have been rescue gear and boats. Bring the boat you are comfortable paddling in and the rescue gear that you can afford to have. Otherwise the class will collectively have what we need. Looking forward to a warm weekend in April to do swiftwater.

I have also been asked about releases. There's 4 feet of fill left in Flannagan Dam to reach the summer pool, to guess the action of the US Army corps is the work of a fool.

jason foley
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.