Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Subaru Factory Racks

Posted by paddyohulk 
Subaru Factory Racks
March 13, 2017 06:49PM
Hello all,

Just got a 2013 Subaru Outback with the factory crossbars on it. Has anyone used these to transport boats or did you put a thule or yakima set up on top? It says the carrying capacity is 150lbs.. so it should be good right?

Nolan A.
Re: Subaru Factory Racks
March 13, 2017 07:50PM
We've used the factory crossbars before on Megan's Vibe and they did just fine. I would go ahead and start looking at some more substantial racks but in a pinch, as long as you don't ride in the boat winking smiley, I'd say they'll do fine.

Bob
March 14, 2017 09:25AM
Nolan.
150 lbs is the safe working load. Most of the Yakima options would only be rated to 165 lbs. Plenty of them are rated to less.
That's three Jackson Karmas on your roof. You could probably do five or six if you drove half as fast, but no guarantees.

Also, did you go through with the Volkswagen Buyback?
March 14, 2017 09:31AM
I have an '01 Subaru with factory racks. I've used them for boats and they work well, but they don't have the carrying capacity of the longer bars. Two boats is usually pushing it, and I'll bet it is for your Subaru as well.

Currently I have 48" Yakima bars mounted to the factory racks with RailGrabbers. Works like a charm. I routinely put The Beast (60 lb sea kayak) and three regular whitewater boats up there to go to rolling session. Never had an inkling of a problem.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
March 15, 2017 01:50PM
Since my statement has been misunderstood twice now, I should point out that when I said "two boats is usually pushing it" on the factory racks, I mean because of their length, not because of their load bearing capacity. They could support the weight of three or four boats, no problem, but it becomes difficult to get them loaded up in the limited space.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
March 15, 2017 05:06PM
Thanks for the responses! Good stuff to chew on. Basically do I want more width or not. Yes, Robert, I went with the buyback and got the subaru. See you all at the roll session on Friday!

Nolan A.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.