Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tomorrow's club meeting will be at Rock House Brewing

Posted by xsubdude99 
Tomorrow's club meeting will be at Rock House Brewing
March 13, 2017 04:10PM
Hi All,

Heads up on a change of locations. Tomorrow's club meeting will be at Rock House Brewing (in the warehouse). Located at 119 Luigart Ct, in Lexington. Although there are commonly food trucks at this site, I am unsure about tomorrow so you may want to bring something, should you decide to eat. As usual, the meeting starts at 7:30.

March's agenda:

BWA Bylaws Change (Not a vote, just an update on the process, but it's coming so stay informed)
Swiftwater Rescue Classes.
BWA Spring Beginners Clinic update.
NPFF recap.
BWA 40th Anniversary Party update.
Elkhorn Creek Clean-up.

See you all there,
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 04:11PM by xsubdude99.
Re: Tomorrow's club meeting will be at Rock House Brewing
March 13, 2017 07:53PM
I just heard that a food truck, the Gastro Gnomes will be there...

Bob
March 14, 2017 12:07PM
Gastronomes are awesome!

can't make it tonight, but this will probably be much a more effecrive way of communicating the pertinent information anyway....
Program Officer^2 Report
SwiftWaterRescue Class:

WHO: Jason Foley and the FIRST 16 that register!

DATE: Tentatively: sometime in april or late may! ( how more tentative you f'ers wan?!)

TIME: 8-4 each day (tentatively, just make sure you are there friday night so you can be prepared Saturday morning)

WHERE: Russell Fork (exact location TBD based on water conditions and camping situation)

HOW:
online registration form will be loaded once date gets confirmed @kentuckywhitewater
Register and make down payment ($50)

$$$$: $125 (50+75)
This one probably WONT be subsidized by BWA, hopefully set something up during the warmer months.

re: Meeting PROGRAMS. Doing the bidding of the President at present.
If we continue to have meetings at Rock House we can use the projector to show rescue situation videos (carnage!!). Clay had suggested this and potentially talk through scenarios..

anybody have any other requests or ideas for programs? want to learn about algae? ;-)

Yours knowingly,
MFW
March 14, 2017 01:57PM
First and foremost, thanks to Mike and all involved for setting up this swiftwater rescue course! The course is a great idea, a long time coming with much talk of it's importance, and I am looking forward to attending.
That being said, I will not be able to attend tonight's meeting, however, I would like to express my concern over the lack of BWA subsidized funding for the swiftwater rescue course.
Having seen many close calls and been involved with a few rope rescues on the river, I feel that this course is paramount to promoting safety on the water. Furthermore, these courses are touted by many club members to provide some of the most important river knowledge for ensuring safe passage down the river. Yet, unfortunately, many club members, such as students or those with tight financial situations, do not have the extra funds to cover the entire costs of a swiftwater rescue course.
As such, I strongly feel that the BWA should subsidize this course if we, as a club, truly desire to promote a safe paddling environment for all of our members. Subsidizing this course is a crucial way to make education regarding water safety techniques accessible to all paddlers, regardless of income level, and to promote water safety, among club members and the paddling community as a whole.
I would suggest, at minimum, a subsidized option for those who cannot afford the entire cost of this upcoming swiftwater rescue course.
I am aware that subsidizing may create additional liabilities, which may complicate the subsidy issue, but I hope we could work around that if we keep in mind our broader goal of promoting water safety.
If would tend to think that if we can drum up thousands to support AW with river preservation/access, then certainly we can get together enough (perhaps $1000) to support the safety and well being of our club members via subsidized swiftwater rescue courses.
Essentially, I see subsidizing a swiftwater rescue course as a hook into river safety and awareness. Just as the subsidized AW membership hooked me when I was a student and I now happily have a full priced membership, the same may occur for those who take advantage of subsidized swiftwater rescue courses and become hooked to engage in future safety training. Being on the river about 2 or more days per week and constantly feeling/knowing the need for a solid safety conscious crew, I advocate that we ensure as few barriers are in place for those who desire to attend this and future swift water rescue courses so that we can all be as safe as possible on the water!
Thanks for reading and I would be happy to discuss any questions or concerns in person, email, or phone.
Best,
John
threeone-4-nyne-fyve-sics-26-four0

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 02:29PM by Flunked.
March 14, 2017 02:44PM
Clay, great idea with watching carnage and talking through rescue options etc!
March 14, 2017 03:18PM
I realize this may be a thread jack, but I agree with John regarding subsidizing the swiftwater rescue course. I notice Mike says, probably won't be subsidized by the BWA so I'm not sure why that is. The club spends a lot on parties so I'd like to see monies allocated for SW rescue

Linda Tribble
859-229-4358
March 14, 2017 03:47PM
I don't think I'll be able to make it tonight, but I very much agree with John and Linda
March 14, 2017 05:12PM
The club will be putting together 2 Swift water rescue classes this year. 1 will be subsidized and 1 will not be.

Bob
March 14, 2017 05:27PM
Hi Bob,
Is the current course that is being organized by Mike counted as the non-subsidized or will there be two more?
Why not subsidize both?
Thanks,
John
March 14, 2017 05:29PM
hi all. lets keep the rabble on this topic on a proper (separate) post. These SWR details were posted as the officer report of the program office of the club to share the latest situation

Moving forward, regarding THIS class with Jason Foley, there will be NO extra hassle or debate. The KEY element here is that we get started moving through the backlog of students, with one of our local whitewater heroes, as soon as logistically possible given how much real life interferes as we get older. If need be i'll solicit email addresses and keep it off the phorum.

Yours knowingly,

MFW

PS RABBLE hot smiley
March 14, 2017 05:29PM
On second thought, let me kick some numbers around. We are running pretty thin right now but maybe we can discuss some type of subsidy tonight at the meeting. I agree wholeheartedly that it's important, that was never the issue. We decided to host 2 of these events instead of 1 at the last minute, and don't really have it in the budget to subsidize both, but like I said, well talk about it at the meeting tonight and come up with something.

Bob
March 15, 2017 09:18AM
Who you callin' rabble?!?

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
March 15, 2017 12:59PM
I just want to say, GREAT meeting last night!

First I'd like to express that I think the Rock House Brewery warehouse is a superb meeting location! With the food truck option for food, the taps flowing good quality locally brewed craft beer, great seating with plenty of room, pretty decent acoustics for such a large space, an option for A/V assisted presentations, pet friendly, and last but not least...we have it ALL to ourselves, I do believe we've found a fantastic spot! I can only hope many of you reading this will come out and check in on one of our upcoming meetings so we can...make the meetings great again spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Secondly, wow...we have a lot of great things going on right now! I have to say to Bob, you're setting the bar pretty high with all of the things you've been willing to tackle during your tenure, and all the things you've come up with to make this club cool. The Elkhorn Creek clean-up idea and making it into a fun competition seems like a great way to promote, educate, and get people both in and out of the whitewater community involved. It could turn into a great PR boom for our agenda to have clean water in our local creeks and streams.

Third, and I'll let Bob or someone else give the details, but cudos to those present for coming up with a good way of subsidizing the Swiftwater Rescue Course and voting to pass this motion. I think we all agree that subsidizing safety education is pertinent to our cause as whitewater enthusiasts, I think it was more a matter of we're getting close to the end of the fiscal year and funds are a little tough to discern with the beginner's clinic coming up and some seed money needed for that and a few other things. I think we came up with a good solution.

Lastly, I really would like to spend several meetings (maybe up to 4) where we (or I) have two video presentations of live, as filmed, rescue situations that have by happen chance been caught on video. I have several video's in mind that I think we could all learn from...what went right, what went wrong, how could the situations been improved upon, etc. I think it would be something that could potentially draw a good crowd and potentially be a program that we could all learn a thing or two when we may ourselves be presented a similar situation.

Again, great meeting!

Clay
March 15, 2017 04:01PM
Hanley:

[www.youtube.com]

Clay:

BOOM! I love that warehouse space. I'll touch base with you offline to set up a program for a program.

MFW
March 16, 2017 12:02AM
Thanks to all who took the time out of their busy lives to attend the meeting and vote. And, of course thanks to Mike, Bob, Clay and everyone else involved for getting this process rolling.
I'm really psyched to see how this is all coming together, especially the swiftwater rescue courses and the rescue breakdown/critiques.
I have a feeling we are on to something here that will cultivate a standard culture of sorts. Not an over the top safety standard/culture that stifles progress on harder lines, rather, one that promotes going for it, yet going for it in a calculated manner, knowing your buddy's have your back. This seems to be a bit of an art form, and the practice of any art form begins with a foundation of knowledge. Mixed with the unique assemblage of personality, passion, ability, and genuine care for one another that embodies the BWA, I know that we will pursue this art form with style.
Cheers,
John
March 16, 2017 10:39AM
My point exactly f'n Wilson. I challenge you to a duel. Kayaks at dawn.

rab·ble
ˈrabəl
noun
a disorderly crowd; a mob.
"he was met by a rabble of noisy, angry youths"
synonyms: mob, crowd, throng, gang, swarm, horde, pack, mass, group
"a rabble of noisy youths"
derogatory
ordinary people, especially when regarded as socially inferior or uncouth.
noun: the rabble
synonyms: common people, masses, populace, multitude, rank and file, commonality, plebeians, proletariat, peasantry, lower classes;

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.