Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grand Advice

Posted by AliBlair 
Grand Advice
February 28, 2017 09:00AM
Alright BWA hivemind, I know a lot of you have done the Grand Canyon and I'm finally getting my shot at it in July. I'd love advice on what kind of boat to paddle. I haven't gotten to paddle much in the last couple of years and am certainly not at the top of my game but I'm sure I can handle most of the river with the exception of the big rapids. Sitting on a raft all day does not sound like a lot of fun so I'd like to spend as much time in the water as I can. The only boat I have is my trusty old Diesel, not terribly fast or comfortable but I know it well and have a solid roll in it. A duckie was also suggested, I've never paddled one but it sounds like a great option for summer with the hot days. Thoughts? Suggestions? Boats I could borrow?

Any other suggestions to make the trip as amazing as possible are welcome.

Ali

Kayak > Prozac
Re: Grand Advice
February 28, 2017 09:12AM
Go with what you know. Take your soulboat. Perhaps make some modifications for comfort and become adept at climbing out of it into a raft in the middle of a pool, but otherwise take the boat that's going to perform best for you, and that's your Diesel.

If you do decide to take a different boat, make that decision now and start getting some serious time in it between now and then.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
February 28, 2017 10:34AM
What Hanley said.

On my first trip down the Grand Canyon in 1981 legendary BWA paddler, Sam Moore made the decision to paddle a new, large volume, plastic C1 instead of his beloved, every river, lower volume, red fiberglass C1. Sam, who 2 years later would make the first BWA descent of the RF Gorge @ 1350cfs in that red C1ended up swimming all kinds of GC rapids that he normally would have aced in the new, plastic "pig boat". I will never forget him saying after each swim, "I wish I had my little red boat!"

I'm with Sam and Hanley - stick with what you know unless of course you really want a new boat anyway:-)

barryg
February 28, 2017 12:34PM
Yeah, deep in a remote canyon isolated for weeks is no time to be fooling around with new equipment. Stick with the tried and true.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
February 28, 2017 08:26PM
I can't imagine using a duckie for anything but the rapids. There's a ton of flatwater and the water is cold. You'd be sitting in a cold water bathtub in a duckie

Linda Tribble
859-229-4358
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.