Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Photo taking locations along the Elkhorn

Posted by Gunner 
Photo taking locations along the Elkhorn
February 01, 2017 07:38PM
Hi Gang!

I have a photographer buddy wanting to take pics of the Not-NPFF race. Would y'all kindly provide me with directions to a location or two good for taking pictures? Your help is highly appreciated.
Re: Photo taking locations along the Elkhorn
February 03, 2017 06:30PM
Jim,

One good location may be on Colston Lane right off Switzer Road. That road comes down on river right, right where White house rapid used to be. There is also a walk down that you can get to which puts you right at "S" turn which is right off of White Cliffs Lane / Creekview drive. Go past the golf course on Stedmantown Lane, take a right on to Forest Ridge Drive. Take a left on to White Cliffs Lane and walk through the empty lot by 117 White Cliffs Lane. "S" turn is right there.

Bob
February 03, 2017 09:48PM
Thanks Bob-o-rino! The Bob-inator! Bobbinski! She Bob-a-we-bob!

What do you call a guy in the ocean with no arms or legs? shark bait!
February 03, 2017 10:50PM
What do you call a guy with nuts on the chest? Chestnuts

What do you call a guy with nuts on the wall? Walnuts

What do you call a guy with nuts on his chin? A blow**b

Best photo opportunity I know of is S-Turn. You may have to do a little bit of wading to get the proper angle but well worth it. Just be sure not to forget your zoom lens. I still want to get on top of the railroad trestle and give the paddlers the full moon but still looking for a man sized treble hook and rope.

Dallas

Tattooed and Employed
February 03, 2017 11:04PM
The railroad concrete thingy would be the perfect photo perch. We might work on that. Tie a rope to a kayak on one side and throw it over to the other side for climbing up? The wheels are spinning. My photo friend has climbing gear.
February 04, 2017 10:53AM
j

Dallas

Tattooed and Employed
February 04, 2017 11:53AM
I know it would be fun to climb the railroad trestle at "S" turn but I think the best pictures would be from the island at the top of the turn and catch them as they are getting into the first set of rapids before they get into the turn and shots of them as they make the turn. It gets really confusing for the long boats there and may yield some great shots. It would also be a good place to set up the paintball ambush site to take out the Vikings.....Oh wait, I guess I shouldn't say anything about that until funding for the paintball gun nest has passed the Steering Committee. So never mind, forget I said anything about that.

So just for the record, there will NOT be any anti-viking paintball gun nests, and for that matter, no ex-lax tainted refreshments at the Vikings tent, no BWAers standing mid-stream with lasso's, no kayaking mounted ninja's and above all else, don't pay any attention to the rumors you've heard about a training camp for attack geese. I'm almost certain that none of that exists. I'm sure we'll have a good clean race.... Unless of course you stop by the refreshment table at the Vikings Tent.

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 12:12PM by xsubdude99.
February 04, 2017 12:22PM
I have climbing gear if anyone ever wants to hit that old trestle pylon
February 04, 2017 08:18PM
Bob. I flame you!
February 05, 2017 12:06PM
Out of the darkness a shot rings out. Our hero grabs his chest, coughs, stumbles and falls to the ground in the middle of the street. As the dust settles and the townspeople begin to appear to see what the commotion is about, from the shadows the villain emerges. Stunned, the townspeople look in amazement as they realize that once again, the outlaw Jim Gunn has struck.

Broken only by the evil laugh of the gunman, the town is locked in silence as they gaze at the scene before them. Birds are stopped in mid-flight, tumbleweeds in mid tumble, even the clouds have halted their slow march to the east as they gaze down at the horror below them.

At first, like a single rain drop of raw emotion, a whimper is heard from Megan, the towns schoolmarm, as she becomes the first to break the grip of the scene before her, then, as if a flash flood simultaneously erupts from every direction at once, the sound of the gunman's laughter is drowned out by a torrent of grief as the townspeople suddenly come to terms with what their minds were unable to comprehend. Children burst into tears, grown men fall to their knees and women throughout the town tear at their hair and clothing as the devastation of their loss becomes too much to bare.

So horrid the scene, so utterly engulfing the flood of emotion that at first no one notices the movement of their fallen sheriff as he slowly rises from the blood soaked street. As suddenly as it began, the realization of what they are witnessing strikes every man, woman and child as once again, the town is locked in silence. Robbed of his laughter, no one is more stunned by the sudden reversal of fortune than the dastardly villain, Jim Gunn.

Caught in the open, his mind nearly locked in disbelief, the gunman is robbed of his advantage. Frantically his mind tries to break the hold of what he is seeing. Desperate for survival, the gunman focuses all his willpower in a vain attempt to force his hands to move, with the only result apparent in the growing wet stain in the crotch of his pants. Suddenly, as if from a bolt of lightning a shot rings out as the sheriff flames the gunman. His shot true, his aim precise, the sheriffs flame catches the villain Jim Gunn between the eyes and hurls his lifeless body into the dusty street from which it came.

As time passed, the townsfolk overcame the shock of nearly losing their hero. Megan, the schoolmarm, overcome with emotion took the sheriff in, nursed him back to health, and after much pleading, finally talked him into making an honest woman out of her. Although the years were kind to the town, joyous to the sheriff and his beautiful Megan, they were not so kind to Jim. Gone were the days when the villains name was only mentioned in hushed tones, and the thought of him filled the town with dread, for forever afterwards, February 5th was celebrated as the day that “ole wet stain” met his match.

Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 02:54PM by xsubdude99.
February 05, 2017 10:02PM
Hmmmmmm. In other words Bob is saying: Hey Wet Stain. Bite me

Dallas

Tattooed and Employed
February 06, 2017 09:58AM
Melodrama aside, Bob's right about the top of the trestle not being a good place to shoot. I've been shooting whitewater for a long time and in general high angles don't work well. Flattens the water out, makes the waves disappear and removes the drama from the shot. As a general rule you want to get as low as possible, close to the water, below the feature you are shooting. The difference between standing and squatting can be huge.

Of course there are exceptions and a good photographer can balance the pros and cons, but I really doubt that there is any benefit to be gained from trying to get on top of that trestle. You could, however, walk in on the track/railroad right of way and shoot even from the left bank and get some good shots of that top half of S-turn which is one of the more dramatic and photogenic areas to shoot.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
February 06, 2017 12:42PM
Years later, as the sheriff bounced one of his 10 children on his knee, the other offspring playing in the yard under the sunshine on a hot summer day, and the schoolmarm, his lovely wife Megan, tending to her beloved pets, a kangaroo, mini-piggies and goats, an old man peered over the horizon to take-in the scene. He removed his hat to wipe the sweat from his brow which had a scar between his eyes that covered the metal plate that was placed in his head after a childhood lobotomy. There was a grin on the old man's face that stretched from ear-to-ear because he loved Sheriff Bob and his kind wife Megan and was moved to witness their happiness. For many years ago, the sheriff and his wife took the then young gunslinger from a dank gutter, cleaned the stench from his body and nursed him back to health. The old man would be eternally grateful.

But suddenly the sheriff’s face changed from blissful content to a look of extreme discomfort. Thoughts ran through his head about the midday meal, the lunch of refried beans, prunes and Brussels sprouts that Megan had so carefully prepared. His bloated stomach was growing before his astonished eyes. His reddened face looked ‘round to see his wife and family staring at him with baffled faces. Then suddenly, explosively, a gas erupted from his gut like the uncontrolled blowout release of an oil well. The porch furniture was thrown off the porch. The child shot from his knee 20 feet into the yard. Then unfortunately, so sadly, the gas reached the kitchen stove. It ignited. It ignited with the force of volcanic proportions. The roof blew of the homestead. The walls were ejected in all directions. The sheriff and his family and the pets never stood a chance. It was total and absolute destruction.

The old man stood up in utter astonishment. His jaw dropped. His eyes began to well up with tears like had happened to him only once before. The tears flowed from his eyes, down his face, down between his buff pectorals, continuing down his six-pack abs, finally across the top of his stout manhood and soaked into his 1872 Levi Strauss riveted-for-strength pants. The feeling was familiar. It happened once before, the day of the stand-off between he and the sheriff, when he shot the sheriff not to kill, but to set the scene for the ending. The ending of a relationship that could end no other way but in the death of one or the other. Or, with the skill of a seasoned gunslinger, an apparent death.

And so goes the legend of “ole wet stain.” In his heart he felt relief to know that the sheriff would not die by his hand. A relief to the magnitude also felt by the sheriff, if only for a moment, in those last seconds.
February 06, 2017 12:58PM
Thank you Hanley, and even you too Bob winking smiley for all the good advise. We shredded the creek and also drove to all the locations Saturday. Final spot is going to be determined by if the sun is out or not.

Dallas, the trestle is all yours buddy.
February 06, 2017 01:11PM
Not a good place to photograph. Perfect place to moon the racers as they go by. Per Tim Miller.

Dallas

Tattooed and Employed
February 06, 2017 04:08PM
Too funny Jim, too funny.

Bob smiling smiley
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.