Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Swiftwater Rescue

Posted by mfwilson 
Swiftwater Rescue
January 11, 2017 10:41AM
As promised in yesterdays meeting, here is an update regarding the search for Swift Water Rescue (SWR) Instruction.

In the past 7 days:

Was able to touch base with Jason Foley from Kentucky Whitewater and he has indicated he is still active in SWR. He usually gets his official calendar going in early february. The best thing to do is to pick 2 weekends Mid-April to Mid-June and get them on the schedule. NO interest in combining with Spring Clinic, avoid Derby weekend (Cheatfest anyway!)

put a message up on boater talk and...

DW Byer teaches advanced SWR around first week in August, teaches on the Meadow River in WV, and typically charges $50 per student because 'i like to paddle with people that are trained'. Could be another option for folks.

Sam Foulkes teaches on the Tuskegee in NC, and offers Swiftwater Skills courses as well as certifying instructors. (http://www.whitewater-rescue.com/main.asp)

So...in short, plenty of options moving forward.

Let me know if you have any questions, I will work with Walt and Bob to figure out the best options moving forward.

What would be helpful is....who out there would be interested in taking a first/refresher class?!

Thanks in advance for your feedback

MFW
Re: Swiftwater Rescue
January 11, 2017 10:52AM
I am. Seems like every other one was offered when I had a conflict.

Jr.
January 11, 2017 11:22AM
I'm definitely interested.
January 11, 2017 12:20PM
yeh i was planning on taking one in noc but if you can arrange one closer id be down
January 11, 2017 03:23PM
I am interested and my boyfriend may be as well. They always seem to happen when I have conflicts as well!

Ali

Kayak > Prozac
January 11, 2017 04:20PM
I am interested as well Mike
January 11, 2017 07:26PM
Count Megan and I in. I've had the course so I'll help out with whatever's needed but Megan wants to take the class.

Bob
Ace
January 12, 2017 11:48AM
I'm in if it's set up prior to June. After that all bets are off.
B. Murphy
January 12, 2017 11:49AM
I'm interested. Haven't been to a SWR clinic since the late 90's so I definitely need a refresher.

_

Hanley Loller

"It's plum amazing what you can do when you damn well got no choice."
--Rickie Dale Larson
January 12, 2017 12:31PM
I would be interested.

Brad Blunt
January 12, 2017 02:14PM
I would hate to be on the river when something goes wrong and not be able to do rats jack about it. Because of that, I'm in. Thanks MFWilson!
January 12, 2017 02:30PM
I'm interested.

Zack
January 12, 2017 03:05PM
Indeed.

Andrew Van Horn
Captain of the Pirate Ducky Fleet
January 13, 2017 12:54PM
Wow! This is a great response (31 replies since wednesday!!). As stated above, I'll get with Walt and Bob to schedule something with Foley and we'll go from there...

stay tuned and safe.

Yours knowingly,

MFW
January 13, 2017 05:32PM
Mike:

Depending on timing, I'd love to do a refresher, but if class size gets out of hand I'd bow out to a first timer.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
January 19, 2017 10:00PM
Ditto on what the wise RobertM said.
Tom Minor
January 20, 2017 07:43AM
I'm would like to do this as well.

Joe W.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.