Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2016 Red River Cleanup

Posted by MeganP 
2016 Red River Cleanup
March 14, 2016 08:58PM
Okay folks,

For those of you who do not know, our Conservation Officer has moved to Colorado. As Member-at-Large, it is my responsibility to fill in as the interim CO. Or so I've been told.

I've spoken with Allen Kirkwood and Russ Miller, and the Red Cleanup has been set for Saturday May 14th.

I am looking for 6-8 volunteers to help get all that nasty stuff off the river. Volunteers will meet on a bridge on HWY 715 at 8am sharp on the day of the cleanup. Canoes and other vessels that are capable of hauling a lot of trash, tires, appliances, etc, are in high demand for this event. If you want to participate with a kayak, it is likely you will be towing a ducky.

You should wear footwear with good traction and dress in appropriate clothing for the weather. Bring your own breakfast, lunch and drinks. Dinner at Miguel's Pizza will be on the BWA. I'm told it's a long, rewarding day!

I'm also looking for someone who is willing to haul the boat trailer down there.

Please let me know if you are willing to participate and what type of boat you will be using. I know some of you do this cleanup every year, so please chime in if I've left anything out.

Thanks!

-MeganL
Re: 2016 Red River Cleanup
March 14, 2016 09:09PM
I'm in. Boat depends on river level.

Megan, thanks for stepping up on organization. The only thing you left out is that it is fun!

Peter
March 14, 2016 09:18PM
I am in as just need something that i can load full of tires and old baby dolls come on people lets spring clean on may 14th. drinking smiley

To Boof or not to Boof? What was the question? Why dont you use your name on your Signature?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 09:19PM by kyjim.
March 14, 2016 09:45PM
My camera and I are in. This event is a ton of fun.

2015 Red River Clean Up Photos

Keep Rockin In The Free World,

Koebs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 09:47PM by Koebs.
March 15, 2016 08:29AM
I am interested but may be moving that weekend. If I'm free I'll be there!

Ali

Kayak > Prozac
March 15, 2016 09:08AM
I'm in and I think KC Frankenstein is in as well. We'll be teaming up in a canoe. We specialize in the extraction of wayward Red River baby dolls. And tires.
I've missed the last couple of years due to scheduling conflicts so I'm stoked to be able to hit the cleanup again!

EDIT: KC Frank's pops will be in town so she won't be able to make it. I can still most likely find a canoe to use. It's easier to haul baby dolls and tires in a canoe than a kayak!

love,
bethany (or beverly or whatever)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 11:02AM by bethany.
March 15, 2016 09:13AM
I'm in if the water level are 2+ and not 3+. I will be in Kayak towing or jumping in and out to load barges. I heard great things about the pizza place.

Howard
March 15, 2016 09:19AM
I'll bring the packraft. Looking forward to it.

Brandon
March 15, 2016 09:55AM
You left out that it's not for complete beginners -- you need some boat control, even if we portage around the one section of rapids. There are a couple of rope-assisted descents of steep riverbanks, and lots of poison ivy.

But it's a great time and a great sense of accomplishment.

Water-level dependent. It's too hard to wrangle the duckies above a certain level.

Robert and I hope to attend.

-Zina
March 15, 2016 07:56PM
What are you talking about bethany or beverly or whatever?

I use baby dolls and tires as flotation in my kayaks. Am I doing it wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 10:32PM by Cephas_Stutts.
March 15, 2016 10:49PM
Peeta--you're not doing it wrong. BUT canoes will carry more wayward baby dolls. Just sayin'.

Actually, refurbishing baby dolls as kayak flotation devices is brilliant and environmentally sound. You need to come up with a business plan. Let's market that.

love,
March 17, 2016 04:42PM
Damn it!!!
I'm running that day to raise money for Fallen Officers.
Hate that I keep missing this now after so many years of doing it. sad smiley

Essa
March 20, 2016 09:41AM
Fantastic! We have plenty of time. I just wanted to get the date announced so you busy people can plan accordingly. I will be contacting anyone who has expressed interest a few weeks ahead of time to get everything finalized.

-MeganL
April 08, 2016 10:31AM
There was some confusion about the date for the cleanup, so I told the SC I would reconfirm.

The cleanup is generally held on the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend, or the second Saturday in May, which are generally one in the same. But this year, they are different.

The cleanup will NOT be on Mother's Day weekend. It will be on Saturday, May 14th as previously posted.

Sorry, none of us realized the peculiar calendar glitch that caused this, but everyone is on board to keep it on the 14th.

-MeganL
April 12, 2016 04:54PM
Count me and my canoe in.

Allen
May 03, 2016 10:24AM
The Red River Cleanup is the Saturday after next! Russ called me last night and said the water level has been too high for him to get out on the river, but he plans to do some prep work this weekend.

So it looks like we have a good crowd interested in participating in the clean up. As of now, the following people have expressed that they plan to attend or plan to try to attend: Allen, Peter, Jimmy, Koebs, Ali, Bethany, KC Frankenstein, Howard, Brandon, Robert and Zina.

Can I get a confirmation from those who were interested? Also, I know some people said they would need to borrow more suitable boats. Even if you are not able to attend, if you have a raft, ducky or canoe that you'd be willing to loan out, that would probably be handy.

I'll be travelling for work and hella busy between now and the cleanup, so I'd like to get a list together of people and boats that will definitely be in attendance as soon as possible,

Think of the pizza!

Thanks y'all.

-MeganL
May 03, 2016 11:50AM
Sue and I will be there. we can both bring our kayaks but get in and out to fill up canoes or rafts.

Howard
May 03, 2016 01:58PM
I am definitely in. I have a canoe and would be glad to have a paddling partner.

Allen
May 04, 2016 09:30AM
Allen,
I would like to be your paddeling partner for the red cleanup. Al, I have is a kayak which would not work out for waht needs to be done.
Howard 859-361 eight 467
May 04, 2016 03:33PM
Looking forward to it Howard.

Allen
May 04, 2016 04:39PM
I still need to hear from a few people, and we've had several who have already said they can no longer do it, so some new recruits would be fantastic. Also, we are in need of someone with a truck who would be able to pull the boat trailer along with them. If you are that person, let me know.

Thanks!

-MeganL
May 05, 2016 10:43AM
Robert and I are still in, but looking for a canoe to borrow.

-Zina
May 06, 2016 01:53PM
Hey all, I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to bail on the cleanup. I have to help some folks I trained with their KY River Watershed Watch sampling on Saturday. And I have a couple of friends coming in from CO that'll be through town as well so it's just a bad weekend for me. I'm so sorry! I hope you all find lots of babies and tires!

love,
May 07, 2016 02:54PM
It's not looking good for me either. Barbara has had to work the past two weekends, our anniversary and mother's day, so I think I'm going to kick it with the fam. Sorry to miss out!

Peter
May 08, 2016 04:42PM
Hey Megan, I'll bring the creeper van and can pull the trailer. I can take about 8ish passengers as well. Sheila is coming and we'll bring a canoe. See you all Sat!

Sam IV
May 09, 2016 08:50AM
I'll be there. I can paddle one of the duckies that Russ has or I can bring my canoe. Paddling one of the duckies sitting on top of tires seemed a little easier than towing behind my canoe last year.

Keep Rockin The Free World,
Koebs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 08:51AM by Koebs.
May 09, 2016 09:57AM
Robert and I have not yet nailed down a canoe, so if someone has an extra that they don't mind being a trash barge, let us know...

thanks,
Zina
May 09, 2016 05:09PM
Jon Mandt asked me to post that he would be coming to the clean-up.

So, Jon's coming to the clean-up.

See you all there.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
May 09, 2016 05:23PM
Also, apparently Zina and I have a boat lined up.

Whee, see you all at the river.

Robert Milgate

"One fish, two fish
Red fish blue fish"
May 09, 2016 06:12PM
Okay, excellent!

So right now, here'd where we stand:

Kyle K, has a boat
Howard and Allen are sharing a canoe
Robert and Zina are looking for a canoe, which I may or may not have but will keep looking in the mean time
Sam and Sheila, have a canoe, hauling the trailer (I'll get you the key)
Britt Wilson, has ducky, may have a double ducky to loan out
Tim and Anne Miller, have an OC2
Brandon? Has boat

Please let me know if you are unable to make it, or if I left you off the list, or if there are details I'm missing. You can email me at meganadams419 at gmaildotcom.

-MeganL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 08:00PM by MeganP.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.